Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 450 LHD, Passenger Door / or window regulator..

450 LHD, Passenger Door / or window regulator..

Hello people,

My 1999 LHD 450 has decided to break the windows regulator in the passenger side door (UK offside door). The cable has now wrapped itself round itself and so I think the simplest option would be just to replace the whole door, but the other option would be to replace the window regulator. That would not be my prefered option as it is quite an involved task.

Anybody got a whole door somewhere in the south east of England so I can collect or would be willing to wrap one up to be collected by courier?

John

Buy a window regulator repair kit.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

Right door side is a Pound cheaper: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mercedes-S...EAAOSw44BYTVFO

I take it the plastic is handed then?

When I had the door skin off to wedge the glass up, I had a quick look at the reel where the cable is wound round. Obviously mine has wound itself over the top of itself and jammed. How does that cover come off so you can wind the new cable on? It looked like the tubes / rivet things where burred over, if you managed to get that cover off without breaking it, how would you get it back in place - nuts and bolts?

Might just be easier to buy the already built regulator but still a fair amount of work in the open to replace that, which is why I thought replacing the whole door might be an easier way to go - an hour open to the elements as opposed to several hours battling with the window regulator.

John

Evilution, as always, has a good guide for cable replacement on your regulator.

Personally, I would not attempt cable replacement without first removing regulator from door. You then get access from both sides and it should become obvious how to unclip cover without breaking it.

Door replacement, I think, requires removal of front cowl to get access to electrical connectors. Most likely a struggle to unscrew seized hinge bolts and in the end you'll probably find there will be something broken inside door requiring repairs. Better working with the devil you've got in my humble opinion.

Hi John

A friend of mine was doing the exact same thing today and and discovered that a cabrio door frame and a coupe door frame is not a straight swap - fortunately he had both and was able to do it the easy way - just saying this in case somebody sells you a cab version when you need a coupe one.

Greetings John, yep, got to agree with B-in-D, Smart didn't make it easy. Finding a starboard side door shouldn't be too hard, probably better/easier than repairing the window winder. If you manage to find a good RHD door don't forget to swap over your door mirror, onto it. The mirror and its housing is the same - LHD/RHD, it's what attaches the mirror to the door that has a different angle to it. Thought I'd better mention that before you start pulling your hair out, wondering why you can't see much through the mirror if you use a RHD door. At least with your plan (of replacing the complete door) you end up with some handy spares. Have you put a RHD drivers seat in your passenger position yet???
    Merry New Year.
    Cheers, Ian.

A good way of keeping your side glass in place while doing this sort of fix, is to use a couple of sat nav suction cup mounts on the inside of the window - or something similar.

PS - apparently the cabrio door is also fatter than the coupe one as it has a different line up with the front wing.

You slide the glass out of the door and lay it flat on the floor somewhere so it cannot suffer damage.