Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 450 LHD, Passenger Door / or window regulator..

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen View Post
    You slide the glass out of the door and lay it flat on the floor somewhere so it cannot suffer damage.

But stops you being able to drive the car around!!!

Currently I have two bits of wood inside the door holding the glass up so I can a: use the car, it has to go to work and back during the week, and b: to keep the car dry! There not being a frame along the top of the glass you can't easily put a piece of plastic in place of the glass!

So I will look at the various option again - door, window regulator, repair kit and work out which is the better option for me.

John

Greetings John, replacing the whole door would probably be the quickest (about 2 hours) but maybe not the cheapest. Getting a repair kit would maybe be the cheapest and probably take about 6 to 8 hours as you need to disassemble the door - may work out a little more expensive if you crack the door panel on removal - doing it on a really hot day is best, whoops you don't get those at this time of year. I'd suspect a door change would be the cheapest option - depends on how much time you've got?? So long as you've got the window up, the car is secure and at this time of year do you really need to be opening it??? Time is on your side. Cheers, Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by mad smart person View Post
    may work out a little more expensive if you crack the door panel on removal - doing it on a really hot day is best, whoops you don't get those at this time of year.
    Been there, done that already! Will need a new panel at some point but then it is a 17 year old car with lots of plastic bits to go brittle!

As you say, I don't have to do anything in a real hurry other than it would be nice to be able to use the window the way it is supposed to be used.

John

Replacing regulator or changing its wires does not take long. No longer than replacing door which is more involved that you think as front panels must come off to access hinge bolts and electrical connectors.

Image shows left door on my 2002 Cabrio. Pretty good access to regulator and window once door skin is off. The only complication is that inner door panel must come off too.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

How does that black cover over the wires come off? I can see that the window regulator is held on to the door frame at the top by one bolt and by two at the bottom, all of which have to be accessed from the internal side of the door.

If you have to take the internal door panel off, then it will be easier just to replace the whole window regulator than to fuss trying to unwind jammed cables and rewind new ones having worked out which way round they have to be wound etc.

If that cover can be taken off from the outside, then it is worth trying to work out which way the two cables are wound etc.

John

Greetings John, the 'bolts' you refer to are actually steel pop rivets and there are two at the bottom, one in the middle and one at the top. The top one is about an inch long the others, about 3/8" long.
    The black cover over the wires, at the leading edge of the door, comes off carefully, there's a small 'clip' for want of a better word, that breaks just by looking at it. You must be keen to open that window in the fine Blighty Wx you have at this time of year? Good things take time, I'm sure you'll find a good door to fit instead. Don't forget to get the RHS seat as well. Cheers, Ian.