Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 451 cdi (2)

451 cdi (2)

So being unable to mend the CDI that I bought I went out and bought another one.

Clearly not enough pain on the first attempt.

This second one is now mended for the most part, a few niggles but nothing serious. I now want to keep the best bits of both cars and either sell the rest as a complete car, not working or break it.

With that in mind:

This one has a paddle shift steering wheel and my considered opinion of that having driven it is what a bag of poo. The paddle is never where your hand is when it is time to change gear and unless you look to see which way up the wheel is you end up changing down instead of up, totally useless thing that will probably result in me crashing the car. If I remove it and put the wheel from the other car on is there anything I need to do to not terminate either of the wheels?

The first one has heated leather seats which I much prefer. No wiring in the keeper car for the heat so is it a separate loom that I can remove from the non worker? The switches seem easy enough but are there relays in the SAM and does it need enabling in Xentry?

More questions to follow I am sure but for now that will do.

Both my Smarts have flappy paddles ..... I like them (as most who have them do) If you're turning ie the wheel isn't straight, you always have the option of the gear selector, but for the most part, when driving along A or B roads, the wheel isn't turned that much that you're fingers aren't that far away from the paddles. Swapping the steering over from car to car would need STAR to tell each car what wheel they have fitted.
    Having fitted heated leather to my Roadster from AN Other car, the loom was an integral part of the loom, not a straight forward swap. I'd assume that the 451 Fortwo was/is similar

So I fitted the heated leather seats. The wiring was there, in the unheated seats there is an empty plug to take the wiring from the car, I simply plugged that in.

Pictures and instructions on the net tell me to "pull out the switch from the dash", yeah right. See attached for what happens when you pull it, you need to get a screwdriver behind each end at the bottom and ease the clips out of the dashboard, pulling it simply causes the switch to fall apart.

20170118_115431.jpg

I now need to find that elusive green relay that is "easy to spot" under the dash (more misinformation from Google).
    Last edited by Mjolinor; 18-01-2017 at 04:03 PM.

Kane has a how to on Evilution, prob a decent description on there.

Kate

Wow, these heated seats rock Today I sorted them and I also sorted the glow plug / electric cabin heater. The thick red wire to the unit under the wheel arch on the offside rear was totally disconnected and floating about. It could easily have started a fire like that. It was a previous repair to the large spade connector that had come adrift, crappy work that's all.

With the heated seats and the electric heater it gets warm inside really fast.

Just two remaiing fault codes now. Glow plug number three adrift. I knew that but bought a nice cheap box of four that were the wrong ones this car needs ones that are 37 from Merc, got one at 22 off ebay. The other fault is teh O2 sensor heater circuit. It doesn't tell me which one and really I'm not sure I can be bothered to fix that at this stage, they are too hard to get out to bother with it I think.
    Last edited by Mjolinor; 19-01-2017 at 07:55 PM.

Excellent work Mjolinor. Got the heated seats in the 450 and now the 451 cdi myself .I use the heated seats far more than I use Ac..

I must admit the paddle shifters on my 450s, which were fitted by a forum member, I really found them to be the best mod I did not too sure if they would feel as responsive on the cdi cause of the low gear ratio but I do miss em.

Keep us posted for any other work /mods you carry out on the Cdi...I've had mine since April as the 450 petrol pulse just clopped out on me one day and like you ,had to get me another however went for the cdi (low milage) this time . Completed 10k yesterday and changed oil and filter today . All I need to find out how to reset the service spanners.

OK, I have finally finished rewiring the front lights and side indicators as they should be. There are maybe half as many wires in there now but it was a bit of an epic.

So I can now drive it on the road and it is as flat as the proverbial. I am suspecting the boost pressure so I have logged it in torque and got this:

That boost cannot be right? I was thinking it should be maybe 12 at the minimum and that is more like 5.

The turbo arrangement on my 450 and on the Euro4 CDI is the same and the wastegate arm is on the bottom, easily accessible form underneath the car. In order to operate the wastegate manually with the engine stopped I always needed mole grips, it was quite hard to move. On this Euro5 CDI the wastegate is on top of the turbo though you can still reach it OK with the cross beams removed and I can easily move it with my fingers. Is this normal?

Any other suggestions for missing boost and is it in fact missing, maybe it should only be 5 or so but for sure going up hill is tedious in first gear all the time.

Apart from this problem the car is really nice to drive and I now know for sure that the hill start assist on my 450 had problems, it is no problem at all on this car but used to really tick me off on the 450, it held on too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post

I can easily move it with my fingers. Is this normal?
    On a petrol 450 - yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    That boost cannot be right? I was thinking it should be maybe 12 at the minimum and that is more like 5.

Any other suggestions for missing boost and is it in fact missing, maybe it should only be 5 or so.
    Boost for an EU3 OM660 as fitted to 450 is quoted (by smart) as 1.2bar.

I could not easily move it on my petrol 450 at all nor on the Euro4 451 but this Euro5 451 is really easy.

I am repeating myself here.

So, fault code P2359 stored and current and P2084 stored.

Googling tells me that there was a fault with the pipe routing for the EGR / boost / wastegate pressure switch. Nothing tells me where this pressure switch is but sort og guessing it is the thing on the top of the engine. It has no pipe on one of the connections, is that right? There are 3 pipe connections and one electrical plug but only two pipes.

Also interesting to note the fact that the DPF differential pressure sensor pipes are disconnected, I connected them back up, man what a job that is, no room for anything down there. The differential pressure is 0 both before and after the pipes were connected. I would have expected some sort of error code with those not connected so I am wondering if the DPF has been disabled by someone.

It's still as flat as a fart and the error codes have not come back.

Somewhat stumped right now.