Thread: Alternator compatability

Alternator compatability

I suffered a water leak on my roadie from the pump and caused the alternator to seize.

Luckily I have had a spare purchased for a 51 plate For2 600cc sat on my shelf that was never fitted.

Comparing it to an old roadie alternator they look identical but its always worth asking if there is
    a difference in the spec between roadies/for2/700cc/600cc

the OEM for the roadie was rated at 75a, 14v and both the roadie and 600cc For2 batteries
    are rated at 42Ah

It only takes a few minutes to unseize an alternator. All that is needed for that is suitable ring spanner or socket and plenty of good old elbow grease, something not everyone possesses these days.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

Free it and turn your spare one into cash on eBay
    You're so money supermarket and you don't even know it!

They are really picky with alternators. If it's not 'right' it either a) won't work, b) will make the rev's 'hunt', c) will work then randomly stop working in a few months time, d) spike power & kill wiring/ECU/SAM

Genuine part for Roadie only in our experience. There is only 1 for them, the 599cc 450 uses 5 different ones with/without external diode leads.

Quote Originally Posted by lil.smartie View Post
    They are really picky with alternators. If it's not 'right' it either a) won't work, b) will make the rev's 'hunt', c) will work then randomly stop working in a few months time, d) spike power & kill wiring/ECU/SAM

Genuine part for Roadie only in our experience. There is only 1 for them, the 599cc 450 uses 5 different ones with/without external diode leads.
    Gese that is really strange.

It would be interesting to work out why because alternators are all basically the same.

I found a brand new Roadster alternator at the local rubbish tip recently:

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen View Post
    I found a brand new Roadster alternator at the local rubbish tip recently:
    Going to rename you Stig I think.

That will work with the "mature" members, the younger members will not understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    Going to rename you Stig I think.

That will work with the "mature" members, the younger members will not understand.
    Stig OTD , I like it
    You're so money supermarket and you don't even know it!

A good friend of mine who died recently was named Stig.

Back to alternators. The one I acquired from the tip has no name or number but its box is marked ALT500 and the address label tells me it came from Manchester Auto Electrical Ltd. I can also tell by inspecting alternator that it has been briefly fitted in a Smart. I have tested this alternator by connecting test lamp to D+ whilst spinning it on my alternator test rig so know it works but have no means for testing it on PHIN terminal. Any suggestions other than fitting it in a Smart?