Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbie - 2011 451 Pulse Turbo

Newbie - 2011 451 Pulse Turbo

Hi All,

Thought it was about time I joined here and said hello! I'm not completely new to these cars as my girlfriend used to have a passion mhd and my mother still has a mhd pulse cab, which proved handy when circumstances aligned to put me in the market for my own one as I'd pretty much worked out what I wanted spec wise straight away.

That was an 84 451 coupe with paddleshift and in a decent colour as a minimum, preferably a 2011 model or later due to the revised bits and pieces and the Brabus map..

Thankfully I found exactly that in a 2011 Pulse 84 in rally red with black tridion and some nice extras at the Surrey Smart Centre, though my luck ran out a day into ownership when it decided to leak coolant everywhere, the car then spent the best part of three weeks at Fudgesmart trying to find the fault but its now sorted and I'm absolutely loving it! I should say many thanks to both SSC and Fudgesmart as they've both been great to deal with.

I've got some bits planned for the car and a shed load of questions so I look forward to speaking with some of you soon!

Cheers

Hey there, welcome to the forum!

Hi & welcome to Smart ownership, even if it didn't start out to good!
    Glad you picked a decent colour, Smarts are supposed to be bright & funky, not the monotonous black or silver!

No new posts here for over two months.. damn this place is quiet!

Anyway thanks for the comments guys. A quick update on how I'm getting on, all going well and I'm in the middle of a few upgrades..

So far I've fitted iridium plugs, switched the rev counter pod round and finally bought two rear wheels to go on the front, one is ready to go on, and I'm just waiting on a tyre for the other one. I got a rear puncture a few weeks ago so took the opportunity to replace both rear tyres with the same I was planning to stick on the new front wheels - 195/50R15 Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance, I've used these few times now including doing a trackday on them in my old Impreza! They are not an all out performance tyre but are an excellent all rounder, low resistance, quiet and comfortable on the road, yet grip well and respond consistently as well. They should prove very well suited to the Smart and give me much more confidence in pushing the front.

I'm hoping this weekend to repaint the rear drums silver and get the front calipers painted red.

Also speaking to Tony @ Tune4Performance about a remap which hopefully will happen towards the end of May, the lure of a near 120bhp Smart is too much to resist! Plan is to have an aftermarket panel filter fitted at the same time.

There is a slight practical element to the above aswell, I'm off over to the Isle of Man for the second week of the TT in June, and were taking the Smart from here in Suffolk upto Heysham, two up with 6 days worth of camping gear etc. The extra power will come in very handy for this trip!

After this I'll turn my attention to suspension, H&R cup kit is the plan here at the moment.

Are you going to change the exhaust before or after the remap? TIK pipes as well? When I was uprating my old 450, I changed both of those beforehand to make sure it sounded/was working the way I wanted it to before hand.

So far I've fitted iridium plugs [...]
    Do you feel any benefit from having a set in? I've got a service coming up on my 1.3 NA ForFour and I am not sure wherever they'll make any further difference to the car over a set of standard plugs.

Quote Originally Posted by 328isport View Post
    ....I'm hoping this weekend to repaint the rear drums silver and get the front calipers painted red.
    Yes, the rear drums end up having a rusty look real quick.

I was deciding whether to go silver or black, and as the drums are quite small diameter compaired to other cars, I did not want them to stand out, so ended up cleaning the rust of the surfaces, and painted them hammerite black. Still looking good after three years.

Anyway, whatever colour you decide on, anything is better than rust

PS.....Another rusty thing that ruins the looks of a Smart Fortwo, is rusty wheel nuts, so I bought off Ebay some black plastic dust covers that fits over each wheel nut and you get a set of tweezers to remove the covers, if you are removing the nuts,
    Last edited by colin2x2; 20-04-2017 at 03:31 PM.

I did appliance white on my old 450... It is a bit hit and miss as it only complements really on light coloured/white panels but they stand out.

My discs are (currently) blue...

Ocracoke - T4P have told me for the later cars the hoses are of very little benefit and more about putting a bit of colour in the engine bay than anything else! So I'm leaving them for now. They recommended a panel filter and did also say an exhaust will improve response, but suggested I wait until my original one needs replacing first. So will go for the map and panel and leave it there for now, a S-Mann stealth will be the exhaust choice eventually.

Ref the plugs, it does seem to start easier and run a little smoother, with a remap in the pipeline as well it seemed worthwhile doing for me. Got three for under 30 delivered so not bad.

Hi Colin, Yes indeed, I think I'm going to stick to silver and then paint the front disc bells silver too. Deffo right on the wheel bolts, but I already have red wheel bolt covers so that's sorted :-)

Really looking forward to getting the wider fronts on now!

Will stick some pics up soon.

The hoses WORK. End of story
    Www.BigPerformance.Co.Uk

020 328 REMAP (02032873627)
    STAR diagnostics. Remapping. Dyno.
    Key codingTAN codes. SCN codes. Body shop. Trimming. Crash repairs