Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Newbie - 2011 451 Pulse Turbo

While messing with my CDI I removed the intercooler completely and piped the hoses with bits robbed off an Astra. I couldn't feel any difference with or without but I wouldn't really expect to with a CDI anyway.

Well its now on 6.5' wheels and 195/50's all round.. I obviously need to put some more miles on it to fully understand the differences, but armed with 20 of Shells finest I took it for run out last night.. and first impressions are awesome!!

It really has transformed the car in a number of aspects which are instantly apparent, there is a feeling of less roll at the front and the general feel of the front end has totally changed, to me on the 5" rim with 175/55 I always felt the steering tightened up if you lent on it to any degree, like a constant reminder that it didn't like to be pushed and understeer was never far away.

Now it feels much more like a regular sporty light hatch, there's a feeling of real confidence about it and an abundance of grip on turn in, in fact you can be quite aggressive with it with no ill effects, overall instantly the handling feels a lot more fun.

This also feeds into the brakes, which you can stand on seemingly as hard as you like, something I'd have been wary of before.

There is definitely a feeling of improved ride quality at the front as well, not night and day, but it seems to take the edge off the bigger ruts/bumps and some of the smaller ones which would have been felt lightly before are now no existent (currently running pressures of 28 front 30 rear cold).

Lastly stability seems vastly improved, its been reasonably windy here over the last few days and whilst you can feel the odd push on the car, its not been enough to actually move the car or require any sort of correction so far, which would of been standard with the original fronts.

If there's a downside its that the new wheels are heavier, the old wheel/tyre combo tipping the scales at 12.4kg and the new 13.6kg, increasing unsprung mass isn't generally ideal but at a little over a kilo and with such a marked difference generally with the new set up, it's not something that's likely to be felt.

Incidentally while its not really relevant due to scale variances, 13.6kg seems to be pretty light for a wheel/tyre combo of this size.

So generally very pleased overall, and whilst I know I'm in the minority as most people don't buy these cars for driving fun, if your in the same boat then this upgrade is worth doing without doubt.

Existing

New

Diameter

573.5mm

576mm

Circumference

1801.7mm

1809.6mm

Poke

29.5mm

48.6mm

Inset

97.5mm

116.6mm

Speedo error

0%

-0.43%

Reading at 30mph

30mph

29.87mph

Reading at 60mph

60mph

59.74mph

Ride height gain

0mm

1.25mm

Arch gap loss

0mm

1.25mm

Compared to your existing wheel, this new wheel will have an inner rim which is 19.1mm closer to the suspension strut. The outer rim will poke out 19.1mm more than before.

Some data above if anyone wanted to see, its not 100% correct as I couldn't select 34.5 offset, so this is based on 34. though obviously we're talking a tiny difference!! On all figures the first number is the original set up.

If there's a downside its that the new wheels are heavier, the old wheel/tyre combo tipping the scales at 12.4kg and the new 13.6kg, increasing unsprung mass isn't generally ideal but at a little over a kilo and with such a marked difference generally with the new set up, it's not something that's likely to be felt.
    When I changed my 14" steel wheels (175/65/15 all around - 12.1kg with tyre) for my 17" Grandlines (205/40/17 all around - 23kg with tyre), the weight of the wheels made a fairly large impact but I imagine this is down to the new alloys being almost double the weight. Good thing I only set out to make a cruiser rather than a outright fast car.

Which wheels have you fitted?

Thought I'd finally get some pics up! Still enjoying the car though the remap and suspension hasn't happened yet, it's still in the pipeline though but think I'll be going for either smart4you racings Gaz road kit or Bilstein B14.

So what I've done so far;

6.5" rims all round on 195/50/15
    Cherry red gauge, speedo and stalk trims
    Smart stuff carbon effect steering wheel trim (love this!)
    Drilled/grooved discs
    red calipers
    black rear drums
    Pipercross panel filter
    iridium plugs

Do not bother any more with useless Photobucket. Use https://postimages.org or similar.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen View Post
    Do not bother any more with useless Photobucket. Use https://postimages.org or similar.
    The photobucket fiasco of trying to charge 310 a year for embedding photos on other websites has hit them hard, as expected, by millions of members including myself closing our accounts.
    Last edited by colin2x2; 22-07-2017 at 07:30 PM.

those cheeky buggers at photobucket.. didn't even realise.

Used Tolsens suggestion, nice and easy :-)

Quote Originally Posted by 328isport View Post
    those cheeky buggers at photobucket.. didn't even realise.

Used Tolsens suggestion, nice and easy :-)
    Just closed my photobucket account this evening & opened a Postimage acc ....