Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: switching pod positons? 2011 on

switching pod positons? 2011 on

Hi All,

Does anyone have a guide for switching the positions of the clock and rev counter on 2011 on cars? It looks like it would be an easier job than the earlier cars.. so far I popped off the cover between the gauges and removed a small torx, the complete pod is now loose, but isn't coming free and don't want to break anything!

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by 328isport View Post
    Hi All,

Does anyone have a guide for switching the positions of the clock and rev counter on 2011 on cars? It looks like it would be an easier job than the earlier cars.. so far I popped off the cover between the gauges and removed a small torx, the complete pod is now loose, but isn't coming free and don't want to break anything!

Cheers
    Here you go bud:

http://www.fq101.co.uk/how-to-guides...-the-pods.html
    You're so money supermarket and you don't even know it!

Thanks for that, unfortunately though that still only covers the pods on the older style dash..

Thanks for that, unfortunately though that still only covers the pods on the older style dash..
    I wasn't aware they'd changed further ?.............

Got pics?

Hi guys,

Finally got round to having a proper look at this..

So for those that haven't seen one before the top of the facelift dash looks like this;

I worked out how to remove the pods in the end, theres a little torx screw under the cover in the middle then it really is just a case of carefully pulling the whole base to unclip it from the two metal clips you can see in this shot;

this is also what the wiring looks like underneath;

All was going well at this point, I disconnected the pug in the middle underneath, and removed the clock pod completely, it was only when I moved on to the rev counter I hit a problem, as unlike the older design there's no facia panel to remove, this means I can't access the black connector to disconnect the rev counter that's hidden under the dash top, as there's no real access at all.

Has anyone done this on a facelift dash who may be able to advise the best way forward? I assume the wires going into the rev counter itself cannot be disconnected?

All was going well at this point, I disconnected the pug in the middle underneath, and removed the clock pod completely, it was only when I moved on to the rev counter I hit a problem, as unlike the older design there's no facia panel to remove, this means I can't access the black connector to disconnect the rev counter that's hidden under the dash top, as there's no real access at all.

Has anyone done this on a facelift dash who may be able to advise the best way forward? I assume the wires going into the rev counter itself cannot be disconnected?
    So did you remove the two silver screws under the RC ?, surely then the pod will come away from the base ?

I would think then there is a connector under the RC ? , (which also loops out to the clock.)

Yes I removed the screws which does allow the pod to come off the base, but doesn't help as I need to be able to get the base free to switch the wiring round so the cable passes through the base on the clock side, so I need to disconnect the main black cable either under the dash which is how I think you would do it on an earlier car, or dismantle the rev counter and disconnect the wires from the back of it (if this is even possible).

Interested to know what was you reasoning is for switching the pods over?
    Was it just to get the rev counter slightly closer to you?

Just asking, as I have the same set up as your photo, and tend to view the rev counter a lot on my 451 CDI, compared to my previous petrol engined 450, to stay at the optimum 2000 rev's on the diesel engine.

Hi Colin, Yes exactly that, I'm much more interested in the rev counter so would prefer that closer to me than the clock!

BTW i think I've worked this out now, there is a connector that can be disconnected on the back of the rev counter, see pics on this ad;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SMART-CAR-...AAAOSwTM5Y0RmD

This should allow me to then get the wiring out through the base without dismantling anything else (well other than the rev counter pod)

Hoping to have a go at this tomorrow and will update.