Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Roadster owner - Possible SAM PROBLEMS!!

New Roadster owner - Possible SAM PROBLEMS!!

Hi Everyone, Just picked up a new Roadster today and it seems I have some issues to address. The heaters/blowers are not currently functional, which I was aware of when I purchased, but had hoped this may be a simple fix with a motor replacement. Everything else was working and functioning correctly so I had no reason to believe it was down to the SAM. Now I have the car home, I started it up and the wipers automatically started - I turned then off and they have stopped halfway across the screen and will now not turn on! The car is very wet under the front carpets, which I was already aware of when I bought it, but as the only issue was the heaters, I took a chance on the car.
    Not quite sure where to start now. Carpets are coming out this week and the bulkhead will be sealed to hopefully minimise leaks. Does this sound like the SAM, or do you think it may be coincidence that both wipers and blowers are not functioning correctly?
    Any recommended garages on the Wirral for help?

It's the SAM. Get it out and dry it thoroughly for a week or so somewhere very warm, do it NOW, not tomorrow and you may be lucky.

Better to pull it apart if you are confident to do that but if not it is still worth drying it complete and assembled, you may come out OK.

Will get it out now and bring it in the house to dry out. Hopefully I'm not too late!!!

Carpets are straight forward to remove after the seats and the bottom half of the console under the radio. Carpets can hold more water than you think possible .... & a bit.

SAM, carpets and seats are now removed. Bonnet is off and waiting for the diy shop to open to get some sealant. No obvious signs of water in the wiper tray though.
    Should I unclip the SAM and inspect it or should I just leave it sealed and chuck it in a pillow case with some silica cat litter for 3 or 4 days?

If you are going to leave it together Then sticking it in front of a dehumidifier is best but 1) silica gel 2)cat litter 3)rice should all be OK. It is best to pull it apart but it is not trivial to do that. The big advsantage of taking it apart is that you will be able to see anny problem areas and maybe remove the crud with cotton bud and alcohol.

No signs of any water or damage. Will bag it up and leave it for a couple of days while the carpets are drying. I assume I'm fine to bag it with silica with the top cover off?
    Thank you so much for your help so far :-)
    Last edited by Plant; 12-03-2017 at 12:04 PM.

TBH I highly doubt it's the SAM. Not impossible but unlikely. I would suggest the wiper motor is probably had it (common fault causing the issues you have with the wipers) and the heater blower selector switch is also burnt out - again a very common problem on these cars.

You have landed on Smartz - a forum where there are only about 3 Roadster owners left - two of them have posted on this thread, i.e. me & emilysdad.

I would strongly suggest you hop on over to www.theroadster.net where all the Roadster owners & knowledge can be found - including guides on how to check for & replace the blower switch and the wiper motor. As well as a whole host of guides for fixing the water leaks that are causing your soggy carpets.

Hopefully you didn't do any damage to your SAM pulling it out of the car unnecessarily....!
    ==============================
    2004 Roadster-Coupe SB2 Brabus
    2005 ForTwo Brabus Numeric
    2014 Skoda Yeti 4x4 DSG
    ex 2002 City Coupe 600cc Pulse
    ex 2003 City Coupe 700cc Passion
    ==============================

Looking at it I think it is not wet but you are in a better position to see than looking at a picture.

For sure in that situation you are better safe than sorry.

Thanks for the replies. The SAM was bone dry and no evidence of any water so I have re-instated it in the car and left the carpet out to dry. Fortunately everything (except the wipers and heaters) is still working as it should!
    Will look around on line for a new wiper motor this evening, seems like an easy enough job. Not so sure about being able do the blower switch myself though!