Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 451 Turbo - Highest Output

451 Turbo - Highest Output

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has found the limits of the 999cc turbo lump and how far it's been pushed to date as I can't seem to find a great deal of info..

I see Airtec now do an uprated intercooler and big performance an uprated exhaust manifold, but I can't see any solid performance data for these parts.

However given we know cars running a remap, forge hoses and a decent exhaust run 125bhp plus, I'd assume with the intercooler, manifold and a modified turbo 140bhp or more should be achievable?

Are there any cars out there running a higher spec such as the above and has anyone found at what point something breaks? Be it an engine component or transmission?

Your best bet would be contact Rob at S2 Smarts in Watford, he races one and you may depend knows all there is to know about how too get the maximum out of the 999 Mitsubishi 3-cylinder unit.

We have 155bhp at the moment. When Adam bothers with our cams and turbo it will be alot more.
    Www.BigPerformance.Co.Uk

020 328 REMAP (02032873627)
    STAR diagnostics. Remapping. Dyno.
    Key codingTAN codes. SCN codes. Body shop. Trimming. Crash repairs

I chicken out in my 84bhp 451 Fortwo at around 80mph on the motorway ....... too skittish for me. Any extra bhp would be wasted on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Performance View Post
    We have 155bhp at the moment. When Adam bothers with our cams and turbo it will be alot more.
    Good work, what upgrades have been done to achieve this? And what's the car like to drive? Is this pushing the envelope in terms of reliability or would you still class it as safe?

Any thoughts on what you think will eventually let go first? Quite impressed that the stock turbo is able to make this sort of power..

A few very good upgrades all apart from one is from BigPerformance
    It is a daily driver, smooth and very reliable.

I would guess that at the 200+ bhp mark it will be the pistons/rings
    Www.BigPerformance.Co.Uk

020 328 REMAP (02032873627)
    STAR diagnostics. Remapping. Dyno.
    Key codingTAN codes. SCN codes. Body shop. Trimming. Crash repairs

Ok thanks, quite a tough little engine then! 200bhp is bloody good going for a 3 cyl 1.0! How important is an uprated intercooler in this? Or is the 155bhp one on the original unit?

Quote Originally Posted by EmilysDad View Post
    I chicken out in my 84bhp 451 Fortwo at around 80mph on the motorway ....... too skittish for me. Any extra bhp would be wasted on me.
    Have to agree that performance would only be good in a straight line and with no side wind factors.

As for bends in the Fortwo, they can be iffy, as they are definitely not sports cars and do not hug the ground, the higher center of gravity and the shape also do not contribute to speeding. Taking roundabouts in the wet can be real scary LOL!

Now if you are taking about the Smart roadster, that was a great drivers car, it hugged the road (I owned one for a while).

When I see a 451 brabus, I just wonder what they get out of it performance wise for all the extra money, other than a short stretch of acceleration, before they have to slow down for safety. Maybe they do not slow down, he he.

Track wise, I can see the interest in increasing BHP, but for street use, not really.

Anyway to conclude, every driver has their own idea of what they want out of a car, so good on you

You can learn how to drive a fortwo quick & keep it pointing the right way

Quote Originally Posted by lil.smartie View Post
    You can learn how to drive a fortwo quick & keep it pointing the right way
    The thing is that pointing it the right way aint what's needed, you only need to keep it moving in the right direction, where it's pointing doesn't matter.