Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 451 Turbo - Highest Output

Quote Originally Posted by colin2x2 View Post

Now if you are taking about the Smart roadster, that was a great drivers car, it hugged the road (I owned one for a while).

I also have a Roadster ...... I've yet to find bend/corner that's too fast for it. Just point it at a bend & it'll go round it. ��

Quote Originally Posted by lil.smartie View Post
    You can learn how to drive a fortwo quick & keep it pointing the right way
    Agreed.

I can understand those not seeing the point of more power, and I'm obviously not suggesting 155bhp in a otherwise standard 84 is a sensible idea, but along with the engine everything can be improved, and whilst a Fortwo is not a sports car as has been said, its not dynamically hopeless either, in fact I'm finding my stock 2011 84 pulse with paddleshift a hoot to drive as it is, though to me it's clear wider front wheels and a remap will only improve it, with suspension and brake improvements the next step. After this I think it would be capable of handling yet more power.

There are plenty of cars out there which are in some way dynamically compromised yet can still be rewarding to drive and indeed driven quickly if you take time to learn how, the Clio V6 would be one example, I think a nicely sorted fortwo would also fall into this bracket.

Once you have driven it in a strong side wind I think you may add some caveats to your statements. They are terrible in cross winds on motorways. You really do need 110% concentration or two lanes.

lol yes I'm aware of this, though I found our old 08 passion worse than both of the pulses we currently have in the family, and I've found a number of drivers, mostly over in America, reporting significant improvements when running pulse 6.5 inch rear wheels/195/50 tyres all round. I expect suspension upgrades may help also.

It will always be a factor though as with any light, tall/boxy car, I had a Fiat Panda 100hp going back a few years and that suffered in a similar way.

Quote Originally Posted by EmilysDad View Post
    I also have a Roadster ...... I've yet to find bend/corner that's too fast for it. Just point it at a bend & it'll go round it. ��
    My only disappointment with the roadster was rain ingress from everywhere, (the achilles heel of this car) and ended up my reason for selling it once the two year warranty was up. Pity!

Quote Originally Posted by 328isport View Post
    when running pulse 6.5 inch rear wheels/195/50 tyres all round. I expect suspension upgrades may help also.
    A 450 with 195/50s on the front and lowered (25-30mm) is light years from the dismal x-wind instability of running 145s and standard height. I would expect a 451 to respond similarly.

This thread will be worth following if anyone is interested, with the mods this chaps doing we should get to see where the limit is without opening up the engine, and will most likely see proof also.

http://www.thesmartclub.com/board/sh...-My-451-brabus