Thread: Handbrake help required.

Handbrake help required.

Some advice please!
    Following on from having the subframe lowered and the aggro of getting the handbrake linkage aligned, the handbrake has been reluctant to release. I've been driving around the problem by not using the handbrake and if I have (used it) I've been careful to check it released by feeling the car roll freely under its own weight before setting off properly.
    Working on the car yesterday with the wheels in the air I noticed that it is only the NS that is sticking. So, went to attend to it today expecting the wheel to free by rotating it but no joy. I can (just) turn the wheel but there isn't a hope in hell of getting the drum off with it that tight.
    One other thing I did yesterday while under the car was pull downward the rod that passes through the handbrake linkage at the sprung compensator(?) and I think I may have adjusted the handbrake as it is taking very little of lever travel to apply the brake. The OS wheel however is rotating freely.

So, Q1) have I upset something by pulling on said rod?
    Q2) Is there a method of releasing the handbrake on the NS wheel so I can get the drum off for inspection?
    Q3) Does anyone know what the underlying problem may be?

Doubt that this is a hydraulic problem as the only flexible hose (which if collapsed could cause the brake to stick) serves both rear brakes, and both wheel cylinders were replaced less than two years ago.
    Any ideas folks? TIA.

All sorted.

What was the fault & fix?

Fix was to roll back the adjuster (via the wheel bolt hole). Fault as yet to be determined. Just the adjuster being arsey I think. Just going to run with and see what happens. At least I now know how to slacken it off so that I can remove the drum if more attention is required. Pics on Evilution saved my day.

How's your wastegate? Any progress?

Wastegate is as free as a bird. No tight spots but I still have a boost/safe mode problem!
    I think it's a leaky hose somewhere in the turbo/wastegate loop. I think the wastegate is not responding quick enough to the boost. It works fine if you gradually let boost build, but If you accelerate smartish it trips into a strange mode until you restart the engine.

A guy at work was having a clearout & found a roll of 4mm silicon hose in his locker that he was about to bin. So I grabbed it & will be replacing some of the sorry looking stuff that is on the car. Just waiting for the time to do it.

Best method for slackening off too tight rear drum brake shoes is not to touch adjuster nut as that can damage mechanism. Instead release handbrake lever on trailing shoe beyond its stop peg. Access is via wheel bolt holes.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG