Thread: Chinese Turbo Cartridge

Question Chinese Turbo Cartridge

Has anyone ever tried one of the 100 cartridges available on eBay?

Don't think I need one, if anything I need will need a manifold first, just curious that's all.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231911230028
    Paul
    Pure 2000 W, LHD 599cc - Engine Rebuilt Feb 08 - sold
    Passion 2000 W, LHD 599cc - Engine Rebuilt Mar 09 - sold
    Passion 1998 T, LHD 599cc - Engine Rebuilt Apr 10 - sold
    Cabrio 2001 Y, LHD 599cc - Engine Rebuilt Jul 10 Replaced Oct 16

I have tried Chinese turbos for diesel smarts and so far not had any issues.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

A far as the operation and reliability is concerned - no issues so far far but two that I've fitted had the same issue - the surface where the coolant and oil are fed in and out (where the little gasket goes) isn't machined to the same size as the original and has a shoulder which stops the gasket and face of the pipe flange from mating correctly - an easy enough fix but something to watch out for and a bit of a pain having to fettle a new part!

Just realised that you're talking about diesel turbo - may not be an issue with one of those as I was on about petrol.

Just bought one of these for 60 inc p&p

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233571905625

Arrived within a few days as it was shipped from the UK

Not fitted yet, but will do soon as mine has started getting disturbingly noisy over 5k

Will report back
    Paul

I bought a 100 one a few years back but haven't found the need to fit it as yet.

If yours is noisy as you say - isn't that the sound of the compressor impeller grating on the housing - creating swarf?.....

I don't think so

If the engine is revved when cold I can hear what sounds like a turbo bearing complaining, it's always done this

Now I'm getting the same noise even when the engine is up to temp

I could be wrong, I guess I'll find out when I take it off, probably this weekend
    Paul

With the TIK removed it's possible to get a finger in and feel the end of the impeller shaft for play. Radial play will be felt as a wobble, to check axial you need to pull the impeller (tweezers, long nosed pliers) then feel for motion as you subsequently push it back in with a finger tip.
    When I checked mine there was no radial play and 'trace' axial. That was ages ago and it's been the least of that car's problems!

If it's a scream/screech sort of sound, don't discount alternator or water pump being the cause.

Quote Originally Posted by bob-in-dav View Post
    the surface where the coolant and oil are fed in and out (where the little gasket goes) isn't machined to the same size as the original and has a shoulder which stops the gasket and face of the pipe flange from mating correctly - an easy enough fix but something to watch out for and a bit of a pain having to fettle a new part!
    Your advice definitely saved me a lot of time and swearing

Interestingly the new cartridge came with a non-metal gasket, however I used a spare metal gasket that I had, but only after adjusting it to fit

There was no play in the old cartridge bearings, and they were free and smooth, as a consequence the compressor housing was totally unmarked

However the whining noise has been banished when redlining, so there was a problem with the old cartridge

Paul