Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Limp Home Mode - No Warning Light?

Question Limp Home Mode - No Warning Light?

Is it possible for the car to be in limp home mode without the engine warning light being on?

I think I may have blown a seal, or something similar.

The engine oil level seems abnormally high, no idea how I managed that!

The engine suffered an 'oil loss event' the first time I used WOT, with the area around the turbo (and the back of the car) covered in oil and a big puff of smoke.

There is no smoking now, and the engine still idles evenly, but the wastegate appears to be permanently open, and I did drive home 50 miles, trying to avoid steep hills...

Any thoughts or suggestions welcomed (other than "You're doomed - just give up why don't you!")
    Paul
    Pure 2000 W, LHD 599cc - Engine Rebuilt Feb 08 - sold
    Passion 2000 W, LHD 599cc - Engine Rebuilt Mar 09 - sold
    Passion 1998 T, LHD 599cc - Engine Rebuilt Apr 10 - sold
    Cabrio 2001 Y, LHD 599cc - Engine Rebuilt Jul 10 Replaced Oct 16

Yes it is certainly possible, on my 2009 CDI anyway. I see no reason why the same can't be true for the 450.

Thanks, all sorted, for now at least

I found a pair of vacuum lines that I had transposed, such that the wastegate actuator wasn't working correctly

My theory is as follows:

The first time I went WOT to 6k, the crankcase over-pressurised, oil sprayed on the manifold via the cam cover seal (which I should have replaced), and the engine went in to limp home mode

After following advice on here I disconnected the battery to reset the limp home mode, and now all is fine again, although I am not in any rush to try WOT again soon

Very confused by the lack of engine management warning though, surely limp home mode is exactly when you want that lamp to come on!

PS - I misread the oil level earlier, it is fine
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by UKKid35 View Post
    ....Very confused by the lack of engine management warning though, surely limp home mode is exactly when you want that lamp to come on!
    Limp mode without engine management light on, can happen.....

Two years ago I got a glitch when switching on the car and it ran straight away in Limp mode with no engine management light on, while moving.

I noticed the limp mode right away as I just could not get up our steep hill to get out the back of our town. Each gear would only go to a certain speed and no more, and had to shift up, but it was like, I had no acceleration at all, even with the pedal to the floor.

I gave up, turned off the road, parked, switched off. left it for a few minutes, switched back on, and it worked fine.

This was on my 2010 CDI, and no engne management light operated on the move during this limp mode. I have no idea why it went straight into limp mode on start up, but thank goodness, has never did before or since.

Put it down tp a weird one off situation. This is what happens when computers control cars... LOL!
    Last edited by colin2x2; 03-04-2017 at 02:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by colin2x2 View Post
    This is what happens when computers control cars... LOL!
    So true, but I reckon most of us are Drivers

Whereas a significant proportion of the population are Passengers, so they will be very happy with the world in ten years time

If I'm wrong then we will really suffer, because we need the sheep to be taken care of, in fact I can imagine being a sheep myself on occasion, but the losers in this instance will be the minicab drivers, who only just scrape by now anyway
    Paul

Yep, we do not want those driverless cars, as that leads to very moral questions, like ...will the car kill you, which has already happened in real life, due to unreliable sensors.

https://www.dezeen.com/2016/07/01/te...car-autopilot/

Quote Originally Posted by colin2x2 View Post
    Yep, we do not want those driverless cars, as that leads to very moral questions, like ...will the car kill you, which has already happened in real life, due to unreliable sensors.

https://www.dezeen.com/2016/07/01/te...car-autopilot/
    Not a fair comparison.

''It differs from self-driving technology, currently in development, in that it asks the driver to remain engaged, with their hands on the steering wheel, ready to manually override when they wish.''

Except in this case the driver wasn't in any position to override as he was engrossed watching a movie.

Can't say I'm keen on the whole idea except perhaps on motorways which are just **** boring to drive on at the speed which doesn't jeopardise my licence or liberty. Not many of them in my neck of the woods though.
    The hope I think, is to cut congestion with freer moving traffic but AVs will have to be configured so conservatively grid lock will likely ensue in an 'after you Claude' scenario.

I am very much looking forward to the arrival of driverless cars. No need for having a driver licence no more and they could save our pubs. We can enjoy as many pints as we like and still drive safely home.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen View Post
    We can enjoy as many pints as we like and still drive safely home.
    Or have a few more and have an ambulance called for us. So British....

The most interesting delemma which has been talked about on other forums is....

If a driverless car is heading towards a group of people crossing the rood, and the only evasive manouver is into a brick wall at speed, what does the car choose?

In other words does the car decide to kill you the passenger in the car, as you are the least amount of people.

As we know smart mobile phones had hidden programs that took us years to find out, like the fact that you could be tracked by authorites, and they could remotely switch on your microphone for survelence. So when it comes to driverless car programming we will never know what is programmed inside them, till its far too late