Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: CDI thermostat (Euro5)

Why though?
    What was wrong with the 'stat taking its temp signal directly from the coolant? Why take a signal, pass it through an ECU, then relay it back to the 'stat via an electrical heating element? What is gained by this method? (Given the added cost to the OEM, there must be some benefit).

They claim the MAP controlled thermostat will give multiple benefits just like taking snake oil.

The functioning of these modern thermostats is pretty well explained in below document.

http://www.mahle-aftermarket.com/med.../mo-2-1013.pdf

It turns out the pin is standard diameter and not visible at the upstream end.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen View Post
    They claim the MAP controlled thermostat will give multiple benefits just like taking snake oil.

The functioning of these modern thermostats is pretty well explained in below document.

http://www.mahle-aftermarket.com/med.../mo-2-1013.pdf
    Cheers TK.
    A brilliant answer from Mahle to a question that need not have been asked then.

That document is has a fair amount of "I wish" with the rest being b***x.

Does anyone know how much the CDI price increased between the Euro 4 and the Euro 5 in mid 2009? The Euro 5 must have cost much more to produce and the warranty claims must have been seriously numerous.

So I bought a 4 thermostat from the local motor factors. A bit of drilling, a bit of linishing, some JB weld and silicon and the car is back together. Too late to take it out now but tomorrow will tell.

Bring a few litres of tap water just in case of leaks. Only enough to get you back home.

A 4 thermostat! That reminds me of the olden days when a thermostat cost no more than a couple of Pounds and I could change a thermostat in a few minutes whilst wearing my best white shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen View Post
    A 4 thermostat! That reminds me of the olden days when a thermostat cost no more than a couple of Pounds and I could change a thermostat in a few minutes whilst wearing my best white shirt.
    Yup, that's the sort.

Not a two minute job though. It is harder to change on a 451 than it is on a 450. It is bigger so harder to get out and the air con pipes are in the way because the pipe connection on the right (looking in the back) is bent rather than straight as it is on the old thermostat.

So I have been out in it. No problems except it still doesn't get hot. It is maybe 10 degrees hotter than previously but still only mid 60s. I think it is time to remove the radiator and bridge the top and bottom hoses.

Metal to plastic seal? You really need some heat resistant elastomer to ensure good seal or thermostat will constantly loose heat due to leakage.