Thread: H&R Cup Kit

H&R Cup Kit

Hi All,

Does anyone have any experience of this kit? It looks a good compromise for daily driver, but would be interested to hear how the ride is and to see how a 451 sits with this kit fitted..

Just realised this kit for the 451 only comprises of rear dampers and springs all round so actually not great value for money at nearly 450.

Interesting though, I'm sure it probably mostly comes to H&R feeling the standard front shock is fine with a 10mm drop but 35mm at the back is too much for the stock rear. Though I do wonder if they feel the rear shocks are also in greater need of uprating than the fronts, which is what I've been thinking..

A forum member (long departed) lowered his 451 and had problems with the driveshafts jumping out. His lowering was pretty extreme though.
    That said, if a 451 responds to lowering as a 450 does, then definitely the way to go. Lowering the rear flattens out the transverse arms so the first response to roll is no longer rear wheel toe-in which requires a steering correction to get it back toward the apex. The steering becomes a lot more linear and actually feels like smart might have wanted it to before being sidelined by some other concern. 450s also have a rear anti-roll bar. A choice of two from standard.

Thanks for the info Pinger, may well be part of the reason that even with coilovers most manufacturers are listing a 10-30mm lowering range. Also interesting to hear the 450 has a rear arb as standard, I didn't realise this. Smart4you racing offer a rear arb kit for the 451 but its not cheap.. I wonder if a 450 rear arb can be fitted to a 451?

For anyone else that's interested the options out there at the minute are something like the below;

Springs only - around 120 to 200 - eg. H&R 160

H&R Cup kit - fixed rate uprated rear dampers and springs only 440

Bilstein B14 PSS - fixed rate height adjustable springs and dampers all round 580

GAZ 'road spec' from Smart4you racing, on car adjustable damping and height adjustable, springs and dampers all round 680

KW variant 1 fixed rate height adjustable springs and dampers all round 830

KW variant 2 on car adjustable damping (Koni dampers) and height adjustable, springs and dampers all round 1000

I'm guessing there are some more fixed rate uprated dampers out there that could be matched with any choice of spring, but I'm yet to find them, and given they'd need to be around 300 for the set in order to be cost effective against the likes of the Bilstein kit I'm not sure how good the quality would be.

I guess the GAZ kit is ultimately the best value in terms of cost versus features, but would love to have a go in a 451 with the KW 2 kit on just to see what it's like!

Quote Originally Posted by 328isport View Post
    I wonder if a 450 rear arb can be fitted to a 451?
    Probably. Mounted to the K-Bar with the outer ends hooked to where the transverse arms mount to the axle.

OK thanks, I was looking through some old threads yesterday and saw your name pop up discussing a 450 arb on a 451 and all sorts of ARB related stuff, I think the thread was around 5 years old!! safe to say you've been around here a little while :-)

That had been Duncan E ramping up the roll stiffness on the front of his 451 presumably.
    The 450 is responsive to rear ARBs. The change from an 11mm bar to a 13mm bar is noticeable - and welcome.

I have removed rear sway bar on my 450. Have not noticed any difference in handling but significantly better grip on snow.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG