Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: White van man tailgating, makes me very irritating.

White van man tailgating, makes me very irritating.

What is it with white vans and wanting small cars out the road, as they think we cannot move.

Normally I just shoot away, but...

Two days in a trot, I have have big white vans right up my tail, I mean really right up my tail, and cannot shake them off, which gets me down.

I got really fed up as the road ahead was chock a block with holiday traffic there was no fast forward way out of the situation. Up my back they came, I slowed right down and then sped up, again and again, but they did not get the message or not bothered about it, enjoying it actually, and was back up my tail in a few minutes, so that did not work.

So how do you deal with the problem?

Pull in and let them past.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    Pull in and let them past.
    And if you can't, as like me on a B road with no laybys or offshoots?

Brush the brake pedal with your left foot just enough to bring on the brake lights and accelerate. Brush the brake pedal with your left foot just enough to bring on the brake lights and don't accelerate. Repeat as often as necessary until they get fed up having to think how to react. Don't be shy of gesticulating strongly either - it's your neck at stake if they screw up.

If that doesn't work then leave a large gap to the vehicle in front such that if it pulls up suddenly you don't have to as suddenly giving dozoid following you a chance of stopping. And look to overtake at the first opportunity (but late enough so they can't come with you) and let them be someone else's problem.

Under no circumstance is 'brake checking' acceptable - though thousands will tell you do it.

Depends if you have a passenger or not.

If I am in my wife's 450 and someone is tailgating, I find that the passenger looking over to the rear of the car is normally enough to ward off most tailgaters to some degree (since its a pretty obvious place to be seen). However, for those that are persistent, doing it again and keeping a steady pace on or near the speed limit (especially if you are the only person in the car) is all they are going to get. Sounds a bit smug but hey, they are the ones in the wrong.

Always a tricky one.. really the best thing as has already been said is to create a larger gap between you and the car in front to make up for the goon behind you being too close.

One thing I did notice though when I got my Smart was that it felt like EVERYONE was tailgating me, there is so little behind you in these cars it can feel like someone is closer to you than they should be, I soon realised most of the following cars were at an OK distance, even though it didn't/doesn't always feel like it!

Greetings, it's an offence to exceed the speed limit, but the only times I've ever seen the limit being deceeded is in, a) stagger hour traffic, b) road works, c) following granny on the way to church on Sunday or d) when there's one of those 'colourful' Coppers in his/her company car, but for the rest of the time - even coppers in unmarked cars - the speed limit on the M1 seems to be 100 or less. It's also and offence to not keep left - were possible, another one is tailgating - considered dangerous driving, ow, lots of points for that one, almost as bad as doing 120 on the M1 @ 2am!!
    So, so long as you're doing or slightly exceeding the displayed limit, keeping up with traffic and keeping left, the tailgater is on the wrong side of the chaps or chapessers in blue.
    My suggestion is, have a sign made and attach it to the rear of your car, "It's an offence if you can read this sign, as you're TOO close, smile for the CAMERA, see you in court - have a nice day".
    On the other side of the coin there are those people (and yes, sadly they vote and breed) that think that because Smarts are small they are also slow. We all know only one of those thoughts is correct. But because of that they all want to get in front. To help defend our right to be small - most of us don't have a 'size' problem when it comes to reproductive devices - install a small air horn. Yep, it's got to be small as Smarts (as We know) aren't big enough. Stebel do one, that's just the right size for a Smart, evil bay have them and I'm sure they're available elsewhere?
    Have a look for "Stebel Nautilus Compact Truck Car Air Horn 12volt 300Hz 134dB Deep Sound 1160058" or just "stebel nautilus". Take my advice though, don't mount it where the Smart horn is - no point in blowing your own socks off or making a mess of your pants - that's for the sod that gets in your way to enjoy. I've mounted mine in front of the radiator, on the drivers side, (pointing forward) takes a bit of 'fiddly foo' to do it but it does fit and will be clear of the radiator.
    Disconnect the wires to original horn and connect them to the supplied relay, now run a wire about 16 gauge with an inline fuse, from the battery through the relay to the (+) side of the air horn. Run a 16G wire from the (-) side of the horn to ground. Mind you to do all this you need to remove the front panel and front under belly panel and a suitable array of tools.
    Also you need to warn any passenger before you deploy the horn - trust me it makes a suitable "get out of my way" noise. And, the recipient of the noise wonders "where the hell did that lorry come from". Oh dear, how sad what a pity.
    Cheers, Ian.

What? You mean like this, which I did at least 10 years ago!
    Smart Air Horn.jpg

John
    Last edited by Heinkeljb; 29-04-2017 at 09:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mad smart person View Post
    Greetings, it's an offence to exceed the speed limit, but the only times I've ever seen the limit being deceeded is in, a) stagger hour traffic, b) road works, c) following granny on the way to church on Sunday or d) when there's one of those 'colourful' Coppers in his/her company car, but for the rest of the time - even coppers in unmarked cars - the speed limit on the M1 seems to be 100 or less. It's also and offence to not keep left - were possible, another one is tailgating - considered dangerous driving, ow, lots of points for that one, almost as bad as doing 120 on the M1 @ 2am!!
    So, so long as you're doing or slightly exceeding the displayed limit, keeping up with traffic and keeping left, the tailgater is on the wrong side of the chaps or chapessers in blue.
    My suggestion is, have a sign made and attach it to the rear of your car, "It's an offence if you can read this sign, as you're TOO close, smile for the CAMERA, see you in court - have a nice day".
    On the other side of the coin there are those people (and yes, sadly they vote and breed) that think that because Smarts are small they are also slow. We all know only one of those thoughts is correct. But because of that they all want to get in front. To help defend our right to be small - most of us don't have a 'size' problem when it comes to reproductive devices - install a small air horn. Yep, it's got to be small as Smarts (as We know) aren't big enough. Stebel do one, that's just the right size for a Smart, evil bay have them and I'm sure they're available elsewhere?
    Have a look for "Stebel Nautilus Compact Truck Car Air Horn 12volt 300Hz 134dB Deep Sound 1160058" or just "stebel nautilus". Take my advice though, don't mount it where the Smart horn is - no point in blowing your own socks off or making a mess of your pants - that's for the sod that gets in your way to enjoy. I've mounted mine in front of the radiator, on the drivers side, (pointing forward) takes a bit of 'fiddly foo' to do it but it does fit and will be clear of the radiator.
    Disconnect the wires to original horn and connect them to the supplied relay, now run a wire about 16 gauge with an inline fuse, from the battery through the relay to the (+) side of the air horn. Run a 16G wire from the (-) side of the horn to ground. Mind you to do all this you need to remove the front panel and front under belly panel and a suitable array of tools.
    Also you need to warn any passenger before you deploy the horn - trust me it makes a suitable "get out of my way" noise. And, the recipient of the noise wonders "where the hell did that lorry come from". Oh dear, how sad what a pity.
    Cheers, Ian.
    A horn louder than Hiroshima going off still wont do anything to rid you of a tailgater.

Quite true but you can lose tailgaters every time on a round-a-bout. It's the ones that decide to pull out in front, thinking you're small and slow that get to wet themselves, not to mention the education of the stupid. Hiroshima works every time.
    Cheers.