Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: White van man tailgating, makes me very irritating.

Greetings John, yep, that's the beasty. How do you rate its education ability??
    I mounted mine behind the crash bar, it'd still work if someone got too close - didn't want it crushed too badly.
    Cheers, Ian.

As I use my 1999 City + Passion mainly for commuting the same route at the same time five days a week, I have stopped having to "educate" the regulars on the route - now it's just the odd idiot who doesn't know the local etiquette on the round-a-bouts I use. It's definitely louder than the OEM offering.

John

I have learned my lesson the hard way in the past, with regard to hand gestures and aggressive horn blowing and the like, as that tends to move into road rage situations. So do not respond like that anymore, other than car manouvers.

I agree that tailgating is an offence, but cannot be action-ed by police unless they are actually watching the situation, which does not happen very often. Though have seen a few cars pulled in on the Motorways that are better supervised.

Anyway, it seems I am not alone getting tailgated, as those of us who own Smarts gets it sometimes. At least it is not that often this happens, Thank goodness.

Quote Originally Posted by colin2x2 View Post
    Anyway, it seems I am not alone getting tailgated,
    It's endemic. They should be further back from where they can read the road as to what is happening ahead of me but instead they just copy what I do. Which isn't really giving them the safety they could have. If they dropped back slightly they might even see the gap I have left to the vehicle in front of me - the same gap I expect from them. Fat chance of that though.
    More worrying still is seeing them being constantly distracted by something beneath window level. Dicking with their phone or fawning on their dick.
    One other trick left is.... where there's a tight corner, take a late late apex and as fast as you can. And watch their knuckles turn white. That gets rid of them.

Personally I try not to get too wound up about them! They might want a raised blood pressure level but not me!
    The lead car is unique, except for the one behind it which is identical.....

Well said.

The best advice I can offer is that you get a dash-cam that has a front and rear camera. At least you have protection and if it does turn nasty with the individual who is driving in such a manner towards or near you, then you can tell them that it is all on camera and that **** is going to the police ASAP.

You can also get stickers that says something like "CCTV recording" or some warning of that ilk on the back window so that they know they're potential youtube footage.

The issue I find with these situations and some of the advice you are receiving is almost borderline vigilante justice and as sweet as it would feel to show these dickheads that just because you drive a Smart car doesn't mean you're pussy, it will always happen on the road and there is nothing you can do to prevent it because you can't stop or control others. I have it happen in all manners of cars. It is not just a Smart car thing.

Greetings, at the end of the day worrying about someone stuck up your bum, is best left for the Navy. If as the driver you're worried about a bum sniffer, I'd suggest you take far more attention of what's going on in front as well as the left and right flanks as that's where the threats to health will come from - more often. Yes, the white van man is stuck up your bum but more than likely he/she is not worried about you so much as what's happening in front of you. Hence, if you take that much attention of what they're doing, rather than what's happening in front, I'd suggest that if you see the bummer slowing up in a hurry, you'd best do the same as they've seen a hazard that you've not as you've been taking to much attention of what's behind, rather than what's in front.
    But if it really gets you down, stand on your brakes, the white van person will do it aswell, they don't want to run into you but someone will run into the back of them (as they can't see, because they're too close to the white van) and you drive off, leaving the carnage behind you... Very rarely will a white van person drive into the back of someone - it does their insurance costs no good at all.
    So, just ignore them, keep left and to the speed limit if not slightly more - they'll go away. Cheers,

I run a smaller vehicle for day-to-day driving (not Smart) as well as a performance vehicle (not Smart) - both vehicles are treated very differently by the general public on my various commutes. The general etiquette is the same as mentioned in previous posts, which is that the general public are all trying to get somewhere - so be patiant, indicate, say thanks and everyone will get to where they're going in time.

You'll always get the 'typical white van drivier' attitude, allow them to overtake safely and crash in to a ditch somewhere, just be sure to give them a friendly wave.
    Follow the Hayabusa powered Smart Fortwo build here

YouTube Video's Here

If only it were only white van man. It's everyone, his wife and his dog - 'till you shake them off.