Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forfour dash temperature gauge pod

Forfour dash temperature gauge pod

Does anyone know if the temperature gauge is canbus driven or if it is fed some different signals from an ECU somewhere?

The pod is indeed CANBUS driven. Thinking about trying to install one in your 451?
    Last edited by Ocracoke; 05-05-2017 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocracoke View Post
    The pod is indeed CANBUS driven. Thinking about trying to install one in your 451?
    Thinking about it.

I imagine, given the similarities between the 454 and the 451 with regards to where parts came from (Mitsubishi - although I don't know if the CDI uses a ECU from Mercedes instead... might not matter), this *might* be possible but may involve a fair bit of wiring to make work. In the 454, there is a handy plug to simply plug the pod into though where this wire goes to I don't know - presumably the ECU in some manner. I'll try and see where this goes in my car. Getting a pod might be fairly difficult though, breakers tend to break the wires getting them out and CANBUS wiring repair is fairly difficult as I understand it.

OK, bought one. We shall see. Cheapest LCD I could find was 80, too much. I am struggling with making one so maybe this is a really cheap option. Paid 20 for a clock and tempgauge.

There are a few different canbus pairs but the main one which I imagine carries the temp PID is also brought out of the OBD plug so I will get it working there as I already have a OBD thign with wires that I use for the scope when playing abut.

If it is canbus then for sure it should work, the engine temperature PID is standard. If it isn't then back to the drawing baord.
    Last edited by Mjolinor; 05-05-2017 at 03:32 PM.

Can't hurt to try, good luck and let us know how you get on

OK, got my gauge. Anyone know the pin outs?

Wires are:
    blue
    brown
    black

red
    yellow
    brown

I reckon blue and brown are 12v. That leaves backlight and two for can bus and having one spare for who knows what.

I would rather not pull it apart to work out the wiring if I can avoid it but no hassle if I have to really, just asking, one never knows.

Hmm, it seems not CAN but LIN. There is a Philips TJA1020 in there which is a LIN bus transceiver.

There is a chance that this is jsut an internal LIN for the temperature gauge, further investigation.
    Last edited by Mjolinor; 08-05-2017 at 10:13 AM.

Yup, it is LIN. The yellow wire is LIN in so adding this to a 451 will be really hard. LIN is a single master system so the master sends specific addresses to devices on the LIN and expects responses from one device. If I add this to the LIN then there will be collisions because the speedo head already takes the LIN address for the temperature gauge, it just does nothing with it.

Back to the drawing board.

As the rev counter is LIN driven I thought I would try it on there. No worky.

It would have been good if it had but I wasn't confident anyway. The LIN bus may not have the data and also I don't think the LIN bus PIDs are as standard as CAN anyway so it may use different addresses for devices. The temp pod has a PIC micro in there, I may read it and see what I can deduce.
    Last edited by Mjolinor; 08-05-2017 at 02:47 PM.