Thread: A 450 CDI restoration

A 450 CDI restoration

Hey Everyone,

A few years ago, I had ownership of a 2001 450 mk5 CDI with Aqua Orange panels (making a bit up of the "Aqua Corner" at Gaydon 2014, feels like ages ago). I had to sell it since then and it went to my father-in-law. Since then, a few issues occurred with it and it has been laying about in a garage for the last year or so as he found his way to a 454 ForFour. I made an enquiry about it a few months ago and now I am the owner again.

The car is in a right state. There is no turbo, no exhaust, no EGR valve (one of those electrical bypass boxes has been installed) and the car is generally in a sorry state with the patches of rust on the Tridion hastily covered up with what looks like plasticine (though it is more likely to be filler). It does apparently start up but the battery is flat and could do with either reconditioning or a new one anyway. Ultimately, the tridion is going to need a repaint so I'll be setting about that at some point though I am wondering if it is worth doing that first then the engine or the other way around.

I've already started on a few things, cleaning up the rear of the subframe and installing hex bolts instead of the torx bits to hold the crash bar in whilst I've been saving up to get a new EGR valve, turbo and exhaust. I've got a NOS oil pipe for the turbo at least (the original turbo had blown due to the previous feed failing) but I just wonder how bad the rest of the car is with this sort of thing going on (there is a pair of old trousers stuffed into the engine block!). The engine earth lead has been replaced and the battery one will be changed as well when I get a chance to get at the car.

Hey Everyone!

So I finally had a day to go and do some work on the CDI. The battery is out and being charged as I write this though I reckon it may be coming to the end of its natural life. Still, a good charge may help to set it straight.

I've been looking around the garage for the bits that were removed from the engine bay. I've found the TIK pipe and the original exhaust. The TIK pipe is fine but the exhaust is blowing out of the seams (I wonder if it is worth getting it welded up?). I've removed a EGR blanking box from the car and plugged it back into where I think it goes but I need a EGR valve I think (perhaps someone would be so good as to identify where it it is meant to be bolted to).

So I think the list is:

• New Exhaust
    • New Turbo
    • New EGR valve

Some pictures...

Last edited by Ocracoke; 07-05-2017 at 01:52 AM.

New turbo? On my old petrol version I had a recon trunk direct from smart fitted at about a third of the price. You have to ask as I don't think they will offer the part...!!

Wouldn't that be a exchange though? I don't have the original turbo (I think it was binned when it was starved of oil in favour of putting in something else but that was before I got it back).

Good point....and you are probably correct, but it was some years ago and the old brain isn't as good as it once was!

Hey Everyone!

I've took the battery out of the car last time I updated this and got it charged with several sessions of charging. After a bit of a faff getting it back into the battery tray and getting it reconnected, most of the stuff on the car works from a electrical point of view. The only things that don't work are:

• Sidelights
    • Tail lights (brake lights are fine)
    • All the Interior dial lights

I didn't have a chance to inspect the fuses to see if any of them have gone so it could be them, closer examination required. However, the rest of the stuff appears to be working, including the speedometer display, which shows 127884km on the clock (or a piffling 79463 miles).

With the battery issue now sorted for now, I turned to the engine again. One of the bolts that held the EGR valve in had snapped off but I've been informed that some epoxy resin would be OK to hold the blanking plate on. Would it be OK I wonder...? In the meantime, I've given the crossframe a bit of a clean along with the heatshield so now it looks vaguely respectable.

The next thing is the exhaust. I've been given the number of a welder who should be able to weld the edges of the exhaust back together so hopefully that'll be sorted in the next few weeks or so. In the meantime, a bit of elbow grease made the main body of the exhaust look a little better, I even found the data numbers on the exhaust.

When I have a bit more money, I'll be ordering a new turbo. The last owner (who turned up to take his stuff out of the garage the car is in) mentioned he wanted to put in a Garret M24(?) turbo but I really don't think that would work in the space available, potential overboosting may cause the ECU to freak and it would need a custom exhaust manifold making I think so a standard CDI is the order of the day there.