Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fortwo CDI 450 won't start P1482 N14/2 (Glow output stage) Cable break

fortwo CDI 450 won't start P1482 N14/2 (Glow output stage) Cable break

I am making this post on behalf of guest constantinus. He recently sent my below private message:

Dear Tolsen,

My Snail won't start, not even turn over. I changed the glow plugs in 2014 myself (NGK - I still don't know if Beru is better). Had a friend of mine build the tools based on your posts, thank you for that.

In January, fuel started dripping from the engine, when started. I took the car to a local service specialized on smarts. They fixed the high pressure fuel pump with a new gasket set. Twice, because the first time, "the surfaces were corroded". Also, they fixed a strange brake noise I reported, by changing my disks and pads to Chinese ones (instead of cleaning the edge rust from the existing Ferodo ones), but this is beside the point. It was relatively cheap, but I like being alive.

About a week ago, the glow plug light came on intermittently while driving - for one second, for five seconds. Then, one day, I drove the car in the morning, nothing unusual; in the evening, it wouldn't start.

I checked the oil level, it was half a centimeter below minimum. I topped it to maximum. Still wouldn't start. The car never ate more than half a liter between changes (8-10k km).

A borrowed Star clone showed several faults. Erased them, but one still remains: "P1482 N14/2 (Glow output stage): Cable break". I checked the fuses indicated by the software, but they are intact.

I noticed oil above the second cylinder, some even on the engine cover. Also, when I swing the car from side to side, the oil light lights up intermittently.

The car is now parked on the side of the street. In theory, I should get it towed to the service, since they gave some warranty for their work. However, I would really prefer to avoid that. I asked around on smart forums around here, but still no solution, for a few days now.

After extensive googling, I found a case where the guy took off and cleaned the contacts on the glow plug relay. Ironically - or not - it was you again, who gave him advice. Still, it involves taking off a wheel and looking under the wheel arch. My car is on a high traffic, one way street.

Please, tell me if you have any ideas on what I could do to start the car, even in limp mode, so that I can get it home, at least.

Thank you,
    Szilárd.

Any thoughts?
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

My apologies, forgot to mention I cannot reply to a message from a guest, just in case someone wonders about that.

If the car will not even turn over then there is no point considering the glow plug side of things. I do not know any car where faulty glow plugs will disable the starter.

Yes, agree glow plugs can't be the cause also not needed this time of the year unless Constantinus' Smart is in the high Arctics. Most likely no turn over cause is bad bad contact at spade terminal to starter solenoid, poor battery terminal connections, bad earth leads or bad starter. Of course could be a SAM problem if his Smart is unfortunate to have one of those.

starter / or maybe ignition barrel switch

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen View Post
    Also, when I swing the car from side to side, the oil light lights up intermittently.[/I]
    With the engine not running and ignition on, that light should be permanently on. Intermittent suggests wiring fault. Bundled with it may be the cause of non-starting. I'd start with a check of the wiring in the engine bay - standard 450 procedure.

Please, tell me if you have any ideas on what I could do to start the car, even in limp mode, so that I can get it home, at least.
    Won't help you now, but for future - breakdown recovery insurance.

[/I]Any thoughts?
    Check engine oil more frequently.

You could try bump starting it to get it home but it is not easy to do.

Any thoughts about P1482 N14/2 (Glow output stage): Cable break? I can only think of broken cable or internal fault with control unit N14/2.

Issue with intermittent oil light when driving side to side can only be caused by not enough oil in sump.

Whether any of our advice reaches Constantinus is anybody's guess.
    Last edited by tolsen; 08-05-2017 at 01:15 PM.

Any thoughts about P1482 N14/2 (Glow output stage):

Issue with intermittent oil light when driving side to side can only be caused by not enough oil in sump.

Whether any of our advice reaches Constantinus is anybody's guess.
    Or a bad wire or loose bulb. I have seen all three and more.

Given the thing isn't running, I assumed he was pushing it side to side rocking it - an odd thing to be doing right enough.
    A long way between oil checks it seems. Given that the top end is the first to be starved of oil when the level is low, and depending if the starter is actually trying to turn the engine over - I'm wondering if the cam hasn't seized in its bearings.