Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Warning - Smart 450 Brake Shoe Set

Second photo on Evil's guide for wheel bearing replacement shows where an incorrectly fitted adjuster will bind against mounting flange of bearing. Brake adjustment spring lever (item 20) will jam against top forward corner of bearing flange.
    http://www.evilution.co.uk/index.php...hassis&mod=457
    Sorry, Evil's photos are copyrighted so I can only post links but no photo.
    Note how this particular adjuster is also incorrectly fitted. Elbow lever (item 17) is hanging vertically down. Of course its hole should have been inserted onto tip of thermoelement (bimetal spring item 10). This adjuster would never have worked if this is how it was fitted.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

The pics I worked from are here >> http://www.evilution.co.uk/438
    and the backing off of the adjuster was compatible with what can be seen - same side, NS.

What has me perplexed is I've had the car since it was 4000 miles old, now 76000 miles and only after the PITA (which I didn't have on previously re-raising the subframe) of aligning that rod into the lever have I had this problem.

A steep drive way with a burn at the foot - it's time that stupid car heeded the warning....

Check if linings are delaminating from shoes.

Linings are fine. Nothing within the drums looks untoward.
    More than a coincidence though that this only started after my difficulty on raising the subframe - aligning that damned rod.

It is a rack. Rack teeth on the right. Hand brake lever in lowest position. Raise subframe in steps and guide rack into slot at base of hand brake lever mechanism. Having fought this rack in my youth, I have chamfered its end with a file to ease insertion.
    Make sure rack moves freely vertically and that it is pushed up by the small spring at lower end.

Stiff lever arm in trailing shoe will also cause brakes to bind.

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen View Post
    It is a rack. Rack teeth on the right. Hand brake lever in lowest position. Raise subframe in steps and guide rack into slot at base of hand brake lever mechanism. Having fought this rack in my youth, I have chamfered its end with a file to ease insertion.
    Make sure rack moves freely vertically and that it is pushed up by the small spring at lower end.
    Once it's in and the handbrake applies - that's it, all is well?

Plausible.
    When I had the drums off I didn't delve into moving the shoes or anything else (didn't want adjusters to adjust out). Time to have another look in there I think.

I really do need to get this sorted. If I continue not using it the whole thing will seize up, and taking two bites at pulling away (to check it has freed) is going to get me rammed from behind.

You're so money supermarket and you don't even know it!

Checked and both are as free as can be.
    Adjusters correctly orientated ie, tab is away from bearing housing bolt.
    The problem is only ever with the handbrake. Footbrake releases perfectly. No sign of sticking today, guess I'll just run with it and monitor.