Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New member, old Smart, new problem.

New member, old Smart, new problem.

Hi everyone , I'm Steve and I am in the USA. NY to be exact , owner of a rare ( here):05 Smart passion convert with S.Mann upgrades and remapp. Spent better part of the winter doing an engine swap as the original engine developed a bad valve in number 3 ...the new engine is from a low km Mexican smart and after swapping out the drive ( and ECU) the enine will start right up but quickly shuts down, with no help I am on my own to fix ..
    As I said it cranks fine and fires straight up but no throttle , or very little as it will run for only 5 seconds then shut down .. there is one bubble showing on the gas gauge, and no code show on the OBD , I will ad that the car has sat for a year so I am a bit to to get it going again . Has a new battery, anyone out there where to check? Email me directly scg13803@yahoo.com
    Thanks. I wanna drive my smart

Quote Originally Posted by stevegeorge View Post
    Hi everyone , I'm Steve and I am in the USA. NY to be exact , owner of a rare ( here):05 Smart passion convert with S.Mann upgrades and remapp. Spent better part of the winter doing an engine swap as the original engine developed a bad valve in number 3 ...the new engine is from a low km Mexican smart and after swapping out the drive ( and ECU) the enine will start right up but quickly shuts down, with no help I am on my own to fix ..
    As I said it cranks fine and fires straight up but no throttle , or very little as it will run for only 5 seconds then shut down .. there is one bubble showing on the gas gauge, and no code show on the OBD , I will ad that the car has sat for a year so I am a bit to to get it going again . Has a new battery, anyone out there where to check? Email me directly scg13803@yahoo.com
    Thanks. I wanna drive my smart

Throw a gallon of fuel in , just to make sure it's definitely got some (and that it's fresh).
    I'm on the new smart now, but I'm not sure that last blob ever disappears
    Make sure you reconnected all engine loom plugs.

It's common over here for the alternator to seize up after a long time standing which, depending on belt tightness, is enough drag the engine down.
    Lastly a duff crank sensor might well cause your issues too.

There's three (four ! ) things to check anyway , in that order.
    Last edited by reinaldo_is_spam; 04-06-2017 at 07:56 AM.
    You're so money supermarket and you don't even know it!

Fuel that is a yer old is likely to be knackered, drain it and stick some new stuff in.

Fuel is fine or it wouldn't fire at all.
    Check all the connections again - throttle body, etc, etc. If you can attach a strobe light, you'll see if sparks are holding up or failing when it dies. If they are fine, failing fuel pressure next on the list.
    Crank position sensors go iffy with heat. Not enough heat in 5 sec of running to trouble it.

Quote Originally Posted by pinger View Post
    Fuel is fine or it wouldn't fire at all.
    That is so far away from the truth. Old fuel will often fire and run in spurts.

What is the point in trying to fix something when you can so easily remove an unknown by changing the petrol.

Is the fuel pump starting up when it fires?
    Last edited by Mjolinor; 04-06-2017 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    That is so far away from the truth. Old fuel will often fire and run in spurts.

What is the point in trying to fix something when you can so easily remove an unknown by changing the petrol.

Is the fuel pump starting up when it fires?
    The fuel is fine, I added more in case it could be that, and yes it does pump when its turning over ..
    I disconnected the fuel line and turned the key . it delivered gas to my jug , but I did not check , or could not check if its pumping as the engine dies ..

if you haven't got access to a code reader, disconnect the battery - charge it up properly, then try again.

John

Check also that the (pipe) connections to fuel pressure regulator are as they should be.

I recall having assisted owner of a Roadster having this problem. There are further details in below thread but regrettably no firm conclusion, either wrong alternator or trapped wiring to it.
    Perhaps you can disconnect wiring to alternator to see if that indeed is the problem.
    http://smartmaniacs.co.uk/forum/the-...ately-cuts-out
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

If you don't have a strobe light it wont hurt to disconnect one plug lead to a grounded spare spark plug and observe continuity (or otherwise) of ignition after engine fires and dies.
    If sparks are good, pull a plug from one of the other cylinders and check for dry or wet - indicating absence of fuel or overfueliing/stale fuel.