Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New member, old Smart, new problem.

Tolsen this is now making sense, as the person who sold me the new power plant had replaced the alternator recently and never checked it.
    Its a rebuild unit and possibly wrong internally ... So now my quest is getting it out, and swapping it with my old unit which I know is good.

I'm finding out the hard way Smart isn't that smart. Drop a driveline to replace an alternator ? Its something one of us yanks builders come up with to make easy cash at a dealer.... Stevegeorge. If this works...you're my hero... Stay tuned..

Suggest you invest in a Delphi DS150E diagnostics unit. Can be sourced for as little as 30 if you keep looking. Does most needed things on a Smart such as key coding, clutch adjustment, gear change learning etc etc.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

Quote Originally Posted by stevegeorge View Post
    Tolsen this is now making sense, as the person who sold me the new power plant had replaced the alternator recently and never checked it.
    Its a rebuild unit and possibly wrong internally ... So now my quest is getting it out, and swapping it with my old unit which I know is good.
    My knowledge is a bit sketchy on this but, I think it isn't just about a faulty rebuilt alternator but about matching a specific alternator to specific car. If so, (and I'm guessing here) to make your original (to the car) alternator work, might you have to match it to (the car's) ECU ie, refit original ECU?

Drop a driveline to replace an alternator ?
    You're aware of the subframe bolt trick?

Its something one of us yanks builders come up with to make easy cash at a dealer....
    What is?

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen View Post
    Does most needed things on a Smart such as key coding, clutch adjustment, gear change learning etc etc.
    Doesn't do any of that if you've got an earlier car with a ZEE!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr T View Post
    Doesn't do any of that if you've got an earlier car with a ZEE!
    Regrettably there are not many of the good Zee Smarts left any more except mine and a few others. Delphi does clutch adjustment on petrol Zee Smarts but not the diesel. Can teach gear changes on all 450. Yes, cannot do keys on Zee Smarts.
    Can also read Volvo and Scania Trucks etc. etc.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

Quote Originally Posted by pinger View Post
    My knowledge is a bit sketchy on this but, I think it isn't just about a faulty rebuilt alternator but about matching a specific alternator to specific car. If so, (and I'm guessing here) to make your original (to the car) alternator work, might you have to match it to (the car's) ECU ie, refit original ECU?
    Swapping the driveline without using the extended bolts was easy for me, and yes I did swap the ECU ( in the airbox)as the new drive ecu would not talk to the car.... As for the alternator being "matched" to the ECU , I that no highly unlikely , and not practical.. Considering the hassel it would be to do this for EVERY Smart built, and replacing would be a nightmare...
    I would suspect instead a bad alternator, or regulator first..
    I will dive into this further with a meter, check the alternator for output , then fuzes, and go from there .
    Stevegeorge1662

As for the alternator being "matched" to the ECU , I that no highly unlikely , and not practical.. Considering the hassel it would be to do this for EVERY Smart built, and replacing would be a nightmare...
    I would suspect instead a bad alternator, or regulator first..
    Matched to the ECU in terms of communicating. Once programmed the ECU stays but any alternator replacement has to be to the original specification.
    No regulator. Modern alternators are under PWM - and the ECU generates the pulses and controls their width.

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen View Post
    Delphi does clutch adjustment on petrol Zee Smarts but not the diesel. Can teach gear changes on all 450. Yes, cannot do keys on Zee Smarts.
    Well the Delphi DS150E that I have doesn't do any of that on my 2001 Mk5 or the wifes 2002 Mk6.
    I wish it did, as I bought it to do a clutch adjust, but unless I'm missing a trick it adjusts nothing.
    The only thing you can do is activate the instrument cluster...whoopee.

Hmm, I am pretty sure I have seen it on my 2009 CDI. Strange that it should not be there for the 450.