Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Air con fixing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    Do you reckon soft solder will be strong enough for the pressure?
    Might work in low pressure side if you can get solder to wet well.

Better to do a proper fix, i.e. replace seal or the offending part unless leak is sufficiently small for a leak fix product to do its job.

If you are considering soldering, does that mean you have found the leak?
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

No, not found the leak. I am thinking maybe to just fill it and see if once things are wet in there it may seal itself, the leak seems to be quite small and it will hold pressure if under 40PSI, above that it leaks from 80 to 50 quite fast but takes several hours to drop to 40 then seems to stop leaking.

Nitrogen molecule is about 2/3 the size of propane but I believe R134A is about 1/4 the size of propane though I can't find an actual size for it. If that is the case the R134A is more likely to leak.

Like I said, knowing where the leak is doesn't help at all if you can't fix it and fixing it means either replacing the bit that's leaking or blocking the leak mechanically with solder or some such or using a leak stop. Using a leak stop means one does not need to know where the leak is so I think my plan is to charge it with R134A and see how long it takes to leak then either stick a leak stopper in or charge with R290 and see how long that takes to leak out, if that leaks then leak stopper and R134A again.

Pretty much all for interest as I will probably never use it anyway.

In that case I suspect leaking O-ring or Schrader valve since a hole will leak at any pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen View Post
    In that case I suspect leaking O-ring or Schrader valve since a hole will leak at any pressure.
    Cant be the valve because this is with the hoses connected. The gauges and pipes do not lose any pressure when disconnected. Not any of the connections I can see which is basically the condenser connections and the pump connections. I assume there will be O ring connections to the evaporator somewhere that I can't see.

Filled it today. Worked wonderfully well for a few hours and all the way home. When I parked at home 'er indoors asked why my car was hissing and she was right, leak in the condenser at the back.

Two choices now, change it or try leak stop stuff.

75 for a new condenser but based on your pressure test I suspect it is a leaking o-ring. Get front panels off and check.

Presumably there are only O rings where the pipes connect and for sure they are not leaking. It is in the centre and appears to be at the back where you can hear it loudest.

I have another condenser but air con aint worth enough to me for me to take the front off the car.