Thread: Leaking.........

Leaking.........

My wife's 2009 Cdi has a nasty leak from somewhere. Both footwells are really very wet; I have dried them out a bit, but water soon comes back. I have just noticed there is some water in the channel on top of the central console (where it runs towards the rear of the car / gear lever etc). This is at a higher level than the foot wells, so I assuming the water is from above, and as it is wet on both sides I also assume it not to be the aircon drain(?).

With this in mind I'm thinking it's the windscreen / roof area to look at. I'm going to use masking tape and drywipe pen to try to locate the leak in various places around the car.

Is there anywhere on the bulkhead that I should look?

I'm thinking it might be easier if I first remove the carpets; has anyone on here tried that? Then I can dry them out properly......

Any other suggestions would be most welcome!

The carpets are an absolute pig to get out particularly the front one. I have a dismantled 451 with nothing inside and I still can't get the front carpets out because of the pedals.

If it is sudden and very wet it is usually a blocked vent under the windscreen wipers. Take the bonnet off and check that water that runs down the windscreen is going somewhere rather than overflowing into the car. I don't have specific info about this on the 451, just general info.

The best way to dry it out is with a dehumidifier in the passenger footwell.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    The carpets are an absolute pig to get out particularly the front one. I have a dismantled 451 with nothing inside and I still can't get the front carpets out because of the pedals.

If it is sudden and very wet it is usually a blocked vent under the windscreen wipers. Take the bonnet off and check that water that runs down the windscreen is going somewhere rather than overflowing into the car. I don't have specific info about this on the 451, just general info.

The best way to dry it out is with a dehumidifier in the passenger footwell.
    Many thanks - shall take a look before it rains!!

If you are getting a windscreen leak then use Captains Tolley's creeping crack cure...

Actually found Captain Tolley advertising his own cure LOL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHMTi13obto

Many places to buy, here's one...
    http://www.waudbys.co.uk/products/de...ef=46723127751

Quote Originally Posted by colin2x2 View Post
    If you are getting a windscreen leak then use Captains Tolley's creeping crack cure...

Actually found Captain Tolley advertising his own cure LOL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHMTi13obto

Many places to buy, here's one...
    http://www.waudbys.co.uk/products/de...ef=46723127751
    Thanks Captain Tolley! Even if it doesn't work it was great to watch his video!

Yes, its like an episode from 1960's Blue Peter

Well, after much head scratching and test driving, I think I've sorted the problem.

Pulling back the carpet around top of the centre console I saw water had collected around the wiring looms. These looms run just below the air condenser end of the drain pipe. By squeezing the pipe more water would gather around this point - therefore showing that a blocked drain can get carpet wet on both sides of the car!!!!

I pulled the condenser end of the pipe out and drove for a bit with the zircon on full - this caused lots of water to flow into the battery compartment and along the flange running around the rim. This enables water to also get directly to the passenger side carpet.

I remember looking on the site bout how to clear the blocked drain pipe - removing the under tray and manipulating the crimped pipe end. So I thought about it and tackle it from the other end (literally) - with a big lungful of air I blew as hard as I could. This shifted the obstruction!!!!

Possibly not the healthiest was to do it, but it seems to have worked!

If people want I shall post some photos.

Now just have to dry out the car.