Thread: Power Loss in Hot Weather

Question Power Loss in Hot Weather

How vulnerable is your car to loosing power when the temperature increases?

I noticed a massive difference over a weekend on the same motorway when the temperature dropped from 26C to 18C.

When using cruise set at 70, the car would shift down to 5th on the hot day, but spend more time in top on the 17C day and feel significantly quicker. It was very noticeable indeed, car was fully loaded, same route, same fuel etc, so it was directly comparable.

It spent so much time in 5th (and even 4th) on the hotter day that the engine temp increased, prompting me the set the cruise speed at 60 to allow it to cool down.
    Paul
    Pure 2000 W, LHD 599cc - Engine Rebuilt Feb 08 - sold
    Passion 2000 W, LHD 599cc - Engine Rebuilt Mar 09 - sold
    Passion 1998 T, LHD 599cc - Engine Rebuilt Apr 10 - sold
    Cabrio 2001 Y, LHD 599cc - Engine Rebuilt Jul 10 Replaced Oct 16

Anyone experienced anything similar?

Admittedly it's unlikely to be an issue now for several months, but still curious.
    Paul
    Pure 2000 W, LHD 599cc - Engine Rebuilt Feb 08 - sold
    Passion 2000 W, LHD 599cc - Engine Rebuilt Mar 09 - sold
    Passion 1998 T, LHD 599cc - Engine Rebuilt Apr 10 - sold
    Cabrio 2001 Y, LHD 599cc - Engine Rebuilt Jul 10 Replaced Oct 16

All due to air density I suspect. Even without taking to the air, changes in altitude have a profound effect on engine output. Sledders (in the mountains) and boaters (on lakes) have to make transmission/prop changes to compensate.

What always astounds me with my fortwo is getting back into it after it's sat for a short period and the core of the engine is still hot but the induction system has cooled - it pulls like a train! Then the induction system heats up and it's back to its lower level of performance.