Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spare Wheel

Spare Wheel

I had a puncture last night and used the gunk to get home. I now need a new tire. Is there a spare wheel kit available for the 451 anywhere.

The very early 450s came with a spare wheel behind the passenger seat.

There was a 451 on ebay a few weeks ago that had a spare fastened to the rear so a mod like that is possible.

The problem is that you have two different wheel/tyre specifications for front and back.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    The very early 450s came with a spare wheel behind the passenger seat.

There was a 451 on ebay a few weeks ago that had a spare fastened to the rear so a mod like that is possible.

The problem is that you have two different wheel/tyre specifications for front and back.
    Unless the offset is completely out I was assuming that with care you could use a skinny front on the back.

Here is my setup in my 451, I have a spacesaver specifically for the 451 bought on Ebay, but you can also use a spare front wheel that will do front or back punctures (you can buy secondhand on Ebay). Also I bought a rover wheel cover of the right diameter, again off Ebay to make it look good, plus spare does not take up any boot space. I keep tire vertically behind passenger seat, and my brace and jack in a bag behind the drivers seat.

Last edited by colin2x2; 01-08-2017 at 09:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary-d View Post
    Unless the offset is completely out I was assuming that with care you could use a skinny front on the back.
    My spacesaver allows you to place it on any corner, but speed limitations is 50 MPH max to get you home, and you must replace ASAP.

This would be the same for a spare thin front wheel to replace punctured wider back wheel, as there is different sizes involved on the one axle.

I have a 451 cdi . I use a front wheel off a 450 has a spare . Fits behind the seats. But i take it out when MOT time.

I carry a sack to house the flat wheel.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen View Post
    I carry a sack to house the flat wheel.
    Then drive it home on three?

I will obviously also need a jack. I assume a scissor jack. Where is it best to jack a smart.......assuming I start at the bottom somewhere

There are lifting points just in front of each rear and behind each front.