Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Key fob batteries last one day on all keys, code B1050 & B1052 showing

Quote Originally Posted by reinaldo_is_spam View Post
    I'll hazard a guess the car receiver is failing
    Will the key keep trying until it achieves its aim?

Eryc: how promptly does the car lock/unlock?

Quote Originally Posted by pinger View Post
    Will the key keep trying until it achieves its aim?
    The key doesn't handshake with the car , it's a one way street from key to car
    You're so money supermarket and you don't even know it!

What does that mean/involve? ie costly? and how to fix? Thank you

The key unlocks the car immediately with no problem WHEN it has a new battery, it either works or it doesn't there's no in between, apart from the indicator lights flashing quickly that seems to indicate that the battery is running down, key still works until it stops.

Don't think I really understand what you mean here? The key either works or it doesn't, there's no halfway house.

AND today, when I unlocked the boot, the locking mechanism went into a spasm locking and unlocking rapidly until i pressed a button and then it stopped, it locked again OK but with fast flashing indicators, this battery has been in for 3 days now. Must admit it's getting a bit tiring. Esp as the car is running great otherwise and just sailed through its MOT. Grrrrrr

Quote Originally Posted by Eryc View Post
    Don't think I really understand what you mean here? The key either works or it doesn't, there's no halfway house.
    'Handshaking' describes when one device communicates with another and the communicated to device 'answers' the communicating device. I asked about this in case the key was getting a 'try again' signal back from the car and the constant 'trying again' was flattening the key battery. Not so though and as you say, the car locks/unlocks on first button press without delay.

Quote Originally Posted by Eryc View Post
    AND today, when I unlocked the boot, the locking mechanism went into a spasm locking and unlocking rapidly until i pressed a button and then it stopped, it locked again OK but with fast flashing indicators, this battery has been in for 3 days now. Must admit it's getting a bit tiring. Esp as the car is running great otherwise and just sailed through its MOT. Grrrrrr
    It would be driving me mad too! I suspect those saying the problem lies with the car are correct but (like them) cannot figure how the key batteries get flattened when communication is one-way (key to car only). All I can suggest is that you look further into the error codes and see if they highlight any faulty component on the car you can replace/rectify. 'Tis a weird one for sure.

Thanks for your thoughts. I think you are right, I need to explore those codes. Just walked past the car and found the hazards flashing v fast, went back for keys and unlocked it and it was locking and unlocking again in a spasm, managed to stop it and lock it and it is now quiet but I think it is getting worse and whatever it is is failing. Seems to be a sensor or something on the central locking going haywire. Was taking it away for three days but think that it is too risky. Shame, love my little Smart Car.

Quote Originally Posted by reinaldo_is_spam View Post
    I'll hazard a guess the car receiver is failing
    There's no way this could this cause the remote batteries to die, that's like saying a Sky dish could affect the operation of the satellite.

It has to be a problem with the remotes themselves. It's known that the fobs can suffer from tin whisker growth so I would advise breaking out a strong light and a decent magnifying glass and taking a close look at the PCBs. This was the cause of one of my remotes eating batteries, though I agree it's unlucky to have three of them suffer.

Evilution link.

There is nothing in the thread other than the op saying they are flat and it seems he has no way to know that.

For sure if the battery si going flat it has to be in the key but I don't reckon they are going flat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    There is nothing in the thread other than the op saying they are flat and it seems he has no way to know that.

For sure if the battery si going flat it has to be in the key but I don't reckon they are going flat.
    I don't see how replacing the fob battery would re-sync the key if it's a problem at the other end though?

Eryc: do all batteries appear to die at the same time i.e. if one key is dead, are the other two always dead as well, or do they die individually?