Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 450 Transmission noise becoming unbearable

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen View Post
    I think they are removed same on both models: Slacken off drive shaft centre bolts. Rear end on axle stands. Remove rear wheels each side. Disconnect X frame from deDion tube each side. Pull out drive shafts. So all you need do is remove 5 bolts, a wheel and a nut each side before removing drive shaft.
    No need to remove drive shaft from hub on a 451, it comes out of the diff without.

Quote Originally Posted by pinger View Post
    That's more what I expected. Positive stop manual operation will only be possible if the angle of drum rotation is exactly the same for each gearchange. How to find out?
    (The 'raw data' - whatever it is, isn't showing equal increments for each gearchange. Is raw data linear?)
    The data must be linear. It is probably a hall effect sensor and a toothed ring of some sort.

There is no reason for a drum selector to be the same increment for successive gear changes particularly given that it is a three speed box and two speed splitter. I would expect the splitter change to require less torque than the gear change so can be faster.

I think they are removed same on both models: Slacken off drive shaft centre bolts. Rear end on axle stands. Remove rear wheels each side. Disconnect X frame from deDion tube each side. Pull out drive shafts. So all you need do is remove 5 bolts, a wheel and a nut each side before removing drive shaft.
    Well the question related to shaft removal right enough but re-assembly can be a proper PITA jigging and jacking to get the transverse arms reacquainted with the chassis.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    The data must be linear. It is probably a hall effect sensor and a toothed ring of some sort.
    If so, that's my (loose) plan kyboshed.

There is no reason for a drum selector to be the same increment for successive gear changes particularly given that it is a three speed box and two speed splitter. I would expect the splitter change to require less torque than the gear change so can be faster.
    Agreed, while under electronic control. But a prerequisite if attempting to use a mechanical positive stop mechanism.

Quote Originally Posted by pinger View Post
    That's more what I expected. Positive stop manual operation will only be possible if the angle of drum rotation is exactly the same for each gearchange. How to find out?
    (The 'raw data' - whatever it is, isn't showing equal increments for each gearchange. Is raw data linear?)
    I can't check what you want when box is apart as no support for the then free shaft ends.
    The easy way is to remove drum angle sensor and fit a temporary clock hand plus degree disc. Then tape or glue your Phone under the car and record a video of how the hand moves whilst you drive. Removing angle sensor will not cause any immediate 3 bars but will after a while.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

I have several of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wifi-Wirel...QAAOSwLaZZsQPS

On one of them I shortened the wire to about 0.8 metres. This allows you to stick it anywhere within the car (or close to it) and watch the video using the Android app. I must add "while not driving"

Video clearly showing excessive play in the offending bearing:
    http://clubsmartcar.com/applications...t.php?id=34974

Video clearly showing excessive play in the offending bearing:
    http://clubsmartcar.com/applications...t.php?id=34974
    That is maybe true if one could see it, who knows.

You cannot view the video. Works fine on my old XP laptop and iPhone.

me either ?!

Must need to be registered I guess (which I'm not , nor likely to)
    You're so money supermarket and you don't even know it!