Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Big hike in car insurance this year?

Big hike in car insurance this year?

Just notice my renewal this year was well up this year and had to go elsewhere. Even my other car was up as well.

My Smart Fortwo Cdi was up by 40, which was quite a jump. Yet have good NCB, no points on licence EVER, and no claims for years and buy insurance annually (not monthly) to cut the price down.

I resorted to the comparitive car insurance websites we all know from the TV adverts, and managed to get it down to almost the same price as last year. This seems to be the norm having to do this each year, as 'loyalty discounts' seems out the window now.

Just wondering if you lot were finding the same situation of higher insurance quotes, as I can never figure out why car insurance can jump so much, for no reason I know of?

I'll let you know next month when all 4 cars' insurances are due

Just renewed my insurance & it was exactly the same price as last year!
    I've used a local brokers called MSM for years now. I first went with them when we got our first Smart, 14 years ago, as they specialized in Smarts & used to offer a discount for Funkysmart club members. They used to run a ForTwo as a company car that was modified, so when you contact them with a bunch of mods they understand what you're talking about.

Interesting, I am finding that I have to spend a day hunting through the comparitive websites, but at least they tend to keep car insurance down quite a bit, as you get a good choice.

Also for some reason, they hardly ever need you to prove the number of years of NCB you have nowadays. Got a feeling it all goes on a mega data base, so they already have that info. But I still keep proof of NCB from the old insurance, just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by colin2x2 View Post
    Interesting, ...... Got a feeling it all goes on a mega data base, so they already have that info. ...
    You mean they all pee in the same pot

Quote Originally Posted by EmilysDad View Post
    You mean they all pee in the same pot
    Exactly

I am sure you already know that insurance companies just pluck a figure out of the air when it come time to renew your insurance! There is no known algorithm for calculating your risk and therefore your premium, so it is down to which buttons are pressed on a keyboard.
    Try it yourself, Phone an insurer, give a name and details, get a quote. Phone the same insurer the next day, give a different name, but the same details, except a different house number and you will get a different value for your quote!

John

Note that you really have to watch the car insurance you are leaving.

Some try to automatically renew from the bank, so you must ensure that you inform them of finishing up, and telling them you do not want any money taken out.

Also beware of automated emails from them, as I made the mistake of replying that I was finishing up at the end of insurance period, and it replied you are now canceling that wil be 33 deduction from your bank for admin costs, and I had to spend time sending loads of emails to get conformation that 33 would not be removed from my bank. What an automated mess

Many years ago I was insured with Hastings. During the week between Christmas & New Year I phoned them to tell them NOT to auto re-new when the insurence expired in the first week of Jan. Needless to say they re-newed When I phoned them to tell them, the half-wit I spoke to implied it was my fault as I should have cancelled when I phoned them a few weeks before hand. It was like talking to a brick wall explaining why that was not what I should have done.
    I got it sorted and recieved an apology from someone higher up the management ladder. And they have never contacted me since ..... it must be getting on for 15 years ago now.

Paid 337 this year for two cars insured with Aviva. Competitors were asking in excess of 400 for the two.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG