Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 451 1.0 Sump

451 1.0 Sump

I did the yearly oil and filter change on the car this morning. All went well until I screwed the sump plug back in and it wouldn't tighten particularly well. I wound it back out to find bits of thread, falling of the plug. I'm guessing the thread came from the sump itself, which appears to be quite a soft alloy. I did try and tighten the sump plug as much as possible, but after a test drive, there is a bit of oil now dripping from the plug. The crush washer is probably not crushing, so isn't helping.

I'm going to pop it along to my Merc dealer (Corfu so no independents) on Monday and from a bit of Interweb research, a new sump seems the order of the day. Maybe he'll suggest helicoils but is that sensible with a sump plug; hot liquid under pressure etc.

Any other suggestions for a temporary or permanent fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Denos O View Post
    Maybe he'll suggest helicoils but is that sensible with a sump plug; hot liquid under pressure etc..
    Whilst there may be some small amount of pressure behind it from piston blow by , it's not at oil pressure pressure. You're mainly sealing against drippage.

A main dealer will just say new sump , I doubt there's enough thread distance (or body of material) to apply a helicoil.

But the idea of a helicoil is fine as the seal itself is on the surface with the aforementioned washer.
    You're so money supermarket and you don't even know it!

Araldite the plug in and buy a Pela....

Fit a timesert thread insert.
    http://www.timesert.com/html/drainplug.html
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

A cheaper solution is to fit a longer oil drain plug. Thread size is M22x1.5. Original plug with the ridiculous wire mesh filter has thread area only about 11 mm long. Threads extend nearly 25 mm into the sump so a long plug ought to do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen View Post
    Fit a timesert thread insert.
    http://www.timesert.com/html/drainplug.html
    While I agree with the sentiment ..... Helicoils have a tendency to come out .... Timeserts are expensive, especially in the bigger sizes. By the time you've bought the tools to fit one, I dare say you could've bought a new OE sump.

Helicoils only have a tendency to come out if they are not fitted correctly in the first place. When they are done correctly they are stronger and smoother than any thread you can get in aluminium.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

I like the idea of a longer sump plug but having searched on eBay, I can find plenty of M22 x 1.5 but not any long ones. Seems that 15mm is the longest. The question is, will 15mm be long enough or where can I get longer versions?

I'll also see what the dealer suggests tomorrow.