Thread: Roadster Coupe trunk opening slowly

Roadster Coupe trunk opening slowly

Hi!

Wow, I forgot I even had an account here untill I troubleshooted a noise I've been having lately and found a post written here by...me

Anyways! I'm back and my beloved Brabus is still with me after 6 years of ownership, and now I have a question! The rear glass hatch, the trunk of the car on the Coupe, has been slow for a while. I just figured it was the struts and was too lazy to swap them. Eventually I ordered a couple of second hand ones from the U.K. and swapped them out a week ago. I figured they needed a run in time, but after a week of use they are still as bad as my old ones

So the way it works, or rather doesn't, is that I unlock the hatch, and some times it rises all the way relatively normally, sometimes it's kind of stuck to the rubber seals, some times it stops halfway, and some times it stops halfway, then lifts completely. So it MUST be just weak struts, right? If so, why did the new ones not make it better ?

What now?
    2005 Roadster Coupe Brabus

Going by the struts in my rear glass window of my Fortwo, they eventually get slow and I bump my head off the glass, as it is not fully up, that tells me to get the WD40 out

So I clean the metal rod of the sliders with a rag, and then spray WD40 on, and clean the two roof hinges as well with the rag, as they also eventually start seizing up with dirt, then WD40 them.
    I then move the rear window up and down to get the lubrication in, bit more WD40, and its back to normal, for another six months.

That is the usual problem and one solution, but there again if you are unlucky you could have knackered struts (as they are secondhand), but I would think its more likely the hinges are your trouble. Anyway try the above as that should free the movement up.

PS..if hinges really seized up 'lubricating oi'l would be better to free them up. I do not use grease as that just builds up dirt, leading to seizing up again.
    Last edited by colin2x2; 07-10-2017 at 02:29 PM.

WD40 your hinges , THEN oil them after a couple of days.
    You're so money supermarket and you don't even know it!

Thanks for the tips! What kind of oil do you use for this?
    2005 Roadster Coupe Brabus

I have been using '3 in 1' for years, though there are other makes....

You bought USED struts. That means they came off a cat at least 12 years old. Did you really expect them to be any better than the ones you replaced?
    You want the tailgate to open like it used to? Buy NEW struts.
    ==============================
    2004 Roadster-Coupe SB2 Brabus
    2005 ForTwo Brabus Numeric
    2014 Skoda Yeti 4x4 DSG
    ex 2002 City Coupe 600cc Pulse
    ex 2003 City Coupe 700cc Passion
    ==============================