Thread: Goodbye Smart hello IQ

Goodbye Smart hello IQ

Hi all,
    I have struggled for 18 months with my 451, I hasten to add not the car,but the bl@@dy dreadful roads complete with chasms otherwise known as potholes, which Southampton and Eastleigh councils are "managing"😫. So I've sold it and bought a Toyota IQ3, the difference is chalk and cheese, but I'm not going to keep on about it.
    Since joining this forum I've had a lot of help and advice and would like to thank Tolsen, lil smartie, pinger, Emily's dad, Mjoliner, and Yorkshire devil and others for their replies.
    I'll still keep popping in but probably won't post anything.

Regards Chris

Fairwell, I remember looking at the IQ when it came out, but did not really like the shape.

It is small like the Fortwo, and hence easy to park, but felt the cabin rather crampt, unlike the spacious 451 Fortwo cabin.
    Though do agree about watching out for potholes in a Smart, because if you hit one, $%^^%$

Anyway as long as you like the IQ, that's what matters, and Toyota is very reliable, gong by my old Celica in the 80's.

Reputedly, the 451 rides better than a 450 - which has the ride of a bicycle. It is so bad that sometimes I'm tempted to throw it in and buy something comfortable. If the 451 isn't that much better, then I get why you've chopped it for the IQ.

It's a shame smart didn't make more of an effort with the fortwo's ride - borrowing from Mercedes S-Class expertise if necessary. Matters would be helped if stupid speed humps were gotten rid of and (if dickheads could understand the reason for 30mph limits and obey them) they could. Potholes? Once again we slavishly follow America's lead. Restricted public funding impacted on road maintenance followed by wide scale adoption of Chelsea tractors which in turn tear up the roads worse and the small car is doomed.

As you hinted, we'll still be here. And you don't have to own a smart to post here. Enjoy the IQ. Your back will thank you for it!

There are many larger vehicles on the road churning up tar!

We'll still be here?? On average, there are a mere 3/4 members on at any one time. How long this wee forum will survive is anyone's guess.....

Good luck with the 1Q - it's a super wee car.
    The lead car is unique, except for the one behind it which is identical.....

Hope the forum does survives, as a bad example is my other car where the forum disappeared, and we moved to a Facebook group.

The problem with Facebook is that there is no 'search' and many new members keep putting up the same general fault questions, and the answers have to go up again and again,. even though they are say 5 pages back, and who goes that far back on Facebook. No-one.

Hope all goes well with the IQ, I looked at them before getting my 451 84, and although I've no doubt they're a more complete car, they lacked the character/customisation of the Smart and the road test reviews I looked through weren't exactly encouraging for someone who enjoys driving, with even the 1.3 having underwhelming performance and generally appearing dull overall.

Perhaps they should of let their motorsport guys have a go at it, a more exciting version would have had a good deal of appeal (to me anyway!).

I hope you enjoy it, I imagine the ride will be a serious plus by the sounds of your roads!

Quote Originally Posted by saab9002 View Post
    Hi all,
    I have struggled for 18 months with my 451, I hasten to add not the car,but the bl@@dy dreadful roads complete with chasms otherwise known as potholes, which Southampton and Eastleigh councils are "managing"��. So I've sold it and bought a Toyota IQ3, the difference is chalk and cheese, but I'm not going to keep on about it.
    Since joining this forum I've had a lot of help and advice and would like to thank Tolsen, lil smartie, pinger, Emily's dad, Mjoliner, and Yorkshire devil and others for their replies.
    I'll still keep popping in but probably won't post anything.

Regards Chris
    Good luck with the IQ ..... I have to admit I do like the look of them

Is there an IQ Ragtop, if not I'll keep my 451 Cabrio.

my sister loves her iQ

the rear seats sort of come in handy (well 1 of them does)

JJ

www.forfour.co.uk - forfour technical forum
    www.evilution.co.uk
    www.quidco.com << CLICK - cash back on car insurance and online purchases