Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Preowned brake discs

Quote Originally Posted by colin2x2 View Post
    Ah, the MKIII, which was the american style Cortina...

This Ford was one of the first with a one speed fan assist ventilation system, (Oh, the luxury)

Actually it had a Four speed fan & even the Mk1 (1964) that I owned had a Two speed fan!

My Cortina could be opened by anything that even resembled a key. I once discovered I'd locked my keys inside it, so I asked the nearby Cortina IV owner if I could borrow hers. She was astounded when they easily opened my car.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    I didn't realise they sold more than one.
    Nice one

The Cortina was actually one of the most common cars on the road at the time, we all had Fords as they were cheap and cheerful, but what ruined it for private owners, was that most new Fords were company cars in later years, and if you privately owned a new Ford, everyone just though you had a company car, so that's why i left Ford forever.
    (Just my thinking on it)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr T View Post

Actually it had a Four speed fan & even the Mk1 (1964) that I owned had a Two speed fan!
    Four speed, argh, (bang my head off a wall) no!, I though it one speed, as when I pulled out that knob, it only moved one notch, was there more notches?, or maybe you had a higher trim model with more speeds?

Quote Originally Posted by EmilysDad View Post
    My Cortina could be opened by anything that even resembled a key. I once discovered I'd locked my keys inside it, so I asked the nearby Cortina IV owner if I could borrow hers. She was astounded when they easily opened my car.
    As said, it was easy to get into a Cortina. Come to think, it was hardly worth locking it
    Last edited by colin2x2; 15-10-2017 at 10:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by colin2x2 View Post

Four speed, argh, (bang my head off a wall) no!, I though it one speed, as when I pulled out that knob, it only moved one notch, was there more notches?, or maybe you had a higher trim model with more speeds?
    Are you both talking about the same dash lay out? Early 'tunnel dash' were different from later (73 on?) that had the same dash as the IV & V

I had a mk1 1500 sport. I lusted after a Lotus. I still think that the mk1 Lotus Cortina is one of the most desirable cars, at least as far as I am concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    I had a mk1 1500 sport. I lusted after a Lotus. I still think that the mk1 Lotus Cortina is one of the most desirable cars, at least as far as I am concerned.
    You'll need very deep pockets for one these days

You'll need very deep pockets for one these days
    I have a back light unit so that's a start I suppose.

Are you both talking about the same dash lay out? Early 'tunnel dash' were different from later (73 on?) that had the same dash as the IV & V
    That would be the answer, a different dash layout.

Maybe that's why I dislike the idea of stop/start too ..... I had enough problems getting my MKIII Cortina to start in the first place.
    Mechanic friend of mine says he's continually replacing starter motors on stop/start cars these days. The system might be good for the environment, but it's not so good for the car.
    ==============================
    2004 Roadster-Coupe SB2 Brabus
    2005 ForTwo Brabus Numeric
    2014 Skoda Yeti 4x4 DSG
    ex 2002 City Coupe 600cc Pulse
    ex 2003 City Coupe 700cc Passion
    ==============================

What’s brewing?

It is my old brake discs being derusted in the electrolyses tank.

Only been in the tank for five hours with six amps current flowing. All hard caked up rust has come loose.

A quick pressure wash and these old used discs are born again ready for harsh winter service.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG