Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Front cooling fan

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen View Post
    My pressure tester is similar to this ....
    A very nice kit, but is a universal kit needed if you're only testing one car?

In the past I've got another header tank cap, drilled a hole in it, pushed a car tyre valve into the hole & used a car pump

Quote Originally Posted by 137699 View Post
    They're incredibly difficult to spot because the coolant evaporates almost as soon as it surfaces in a hot engine.
    What about when the engine is cold with the above pressure tester ....

I add fluorescent dye to the coolant. Run engine to let dye circulate before connecting pressure tester. Pressure gauge will tell if there is a leak. The hard bit is to find where the leak is but made easier thanks to the dye and system being under pressure.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

Ordered the Dye kit, will order the pressure test kit if I can't spot the leak when just looking at the system when it run at normal temperature and pressure.

John

I use Monument drain tracing dye. 6.01 from Toolstation.
    https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plu...ing+Dye/p19855
    My UV torch cost only 99p including postage. Came all the way from China.

113 grams of Monument drain tracing dye is sufficient to dye cooling system in more than 3000 Smart cars.

And that is only 1/5 of a Penny per shot.

Having had a chance to connect up the Star C3 to the car and observe a few things, I can turn the front cooling fan on and off in DAS, so the fan itself is not faulty.

I have more questions.

Question: what's the "normal" operating temperature as measured by diagnostic as opposed to the temperature gauge which has a 20 Degree gap in indication "blobs"?
    Question: At what temperature is the front fan supposed to come on?

The sun shine and showers that we have at the moment are making working on the car outside rather difficult! So can really take the front off to do anything there, but the fact that DAS can turn the fan on and off suggests that any trigger system it has for turn the fan on or off due to temperature must be in the ZEE and without knowing the temperature it is supposed to turn on at, I can't say it is faulty or not.

John

Trolling through my rather aged memory the third blob is 85c and that is where it should sit. It drops to around 82 on a long downhill but rarely gets above 86. Fan comes on about 98 - 100.

Long time since I entered those figures into my head though so take with a pinch of salt.

My test drive produced:
    Driving on dual carriageway ~ 60mph temperature varied between 89 ~ 91 Degrees.

I tried to get the temperature to go up whilst the car was sitting still with revs elevated. Got the temperature shown by Star diagnostics up to 101 ~ 102 Degrees, but the fan did NOT come on. This now means I need to find out what temperature the fan should come on and then to figure out if there is some fault with the system as to why it does not come on.

I appreciate all the help I received so far.

John