Thread: Is the 543 auto noisy at low speeds?

Is the 543 auto noisy at low speeds?

Just been reading on other 453 forums about some owners complaining about the twin clutch auto on the 453 (fortwo and forfour) being rather noisy as slow speeds, compared to the manual box.

Just wonder what you think about yours?
    Is it a problem?
    Is it to do with what engine is matched to it, ie, 70BHP or 91BHP?

I know eventually I will be going for the 453 once I save a lot more pennies
    So wanting to know now, if there is a problem with noise. Thanks.

Looks as though there is no 453 auto box owners on here to comment.

Quote Originally Posted by colin2x2 View Post
    Looks as though there is no 453 auto box owners on here to comment.
    You’ve come to that conclusion after 1hour and ten minutes ? That has at best half a dozen active members?

I’ve got one , with the 90 engine.
    I’m not sure where you’ve heard this very odd rumour ? .... there’s no extra noise associated with the DCT gearbox at any speeds as far as I’ve experienced over 20K miles.

There are people who have moaned about tyre noise though, maybe it’s this you’ve misheard ?
    You're so money supermarket and you don't even know it!

Quote Originally Posted by reinaldo_is_spam View Post
    You’ve come to that conclusion after 1hour and ten minutes ?

Where do the days go?.....

Quote Originally Posted by reinaldo_is_spam View Post
    There are people who have moaned about tyre noise though, maybe it’s this you’ve misheard ?
    A consequence of stiffer shells constructed from higher grade denser steels apparently.

My 453 auto had an annoying and not required "clutching" noise by the time mine had done 3000 miles.
    Took the car back twice before getting the "mechanic/technician" to hear the noise.
    New gearbox later
    Problem gone
    Www.BigPerformance.Co.Uk

020 328 REMAP (02032873627)
    STAR diagnostics. Remapping. Dyno.
    Key codingTAN codes. SCN codes. Body shop. Trimming. Crash repairs

Thanks for the info, and it was 3 days and 1 hour and ten minutes. (easy not to spot the days I suppose)

Looks as though when the time comes to buy one, a lot of test driving will be required on both 70 and 91 BHP, auto and manual 453's. Or may even hire one for a few days, as there is a lot of hire companies now with the Forfour (same engines as Fortwo).

Though my problem with manual box is my size ten shoes do not go to the left of the clutch pedal, and would require a chunk out of the gear stick plastic housing to make room for a foot rest, (have already checked that there is no metal bulkhead in the way, by looking closely at production assembly line videos) as I cannot stand cars that require you to put your foot under the clutch pedal, lift up and out and back down on clutch. That would so bug me out. So would prefer an auto.

PS...On the LHD cars for mainland Europe and USA, there is plenty of room to the left of clutch pedal and they even come with a built in foot rest. Shows you that car manufactures still do not take the effort to design in for RHD cars.

Paul's size 11's fit fine....

People also complain about noisy tyres (iirc from 16" factory fit tyres) engine depends on journey type. Round town, non-turbo smoother, any kind of open road oomph from turbo is nice to have!

Quote Originally Posted by lil.smartie View Post
    Paul's size 11's fit fine....!
    He must have to use a shoehorn to squeeze into that small space