Thread: smart 451 cdi 2012

smart 451 cdi 2012

Iv just done head gasket, (was running fine before I took head off )but now only compression on one cylinder, firing only on that cylinder, I moved cam 180 degrees, timing now firing on all 3 but still not running, anyone got some good info for cam chain timing setup or photos , iv used automata but not very clear, thanks

Unless you have compression on all 3 cylinders, you won;t get it to run properly.

John

Engine timing will be same as my OM660, although ten years older:

If timing casing is on, you will of course line up mark on pulley with timing mark on casing. Timing notch in my pulley is not very visible so I have touched it up a wee bit in above photo. Notch should line up with the rusty bolt head as shown.

The two holes and tab on cam shaft sprocket should be parallel with top of cylinder head.

With timing case in position and rocker cover on you can still confirm timing by removing oil filler cap.
    Last edited by tolsen; 27-10-2017 at 08:59 AM.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

Here is a photo showing timing mark on timing chain casing.

Mark is just between "02" and bolt head freshly painted in Lidl cold galvanizing paint.

Autodata shows cam shaft sprocket with its tab at bottom, i.e. turned 180 degrees compared to my advice in previous post. This is also correct but easier in my humble opinion to check timing with tab on the top.
    Last edited by tolsen; 27-10-2017 at 09:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by martininkent View Post
    Iv just done head gasket, (was running fine before I took head off )but now only compression on one cylinder, firing only on that cylinder, I moved cam 180 degrees, timing now firing on all 3 but still not running, anyone got some good info for cam chain timing setup or photos , iv used automata but not very clear, thanks
    Check your alternator. Mine seized up when only five years old causing no start.

hi thanks for all your input, it turned out to be the fuel pipe feed and return swaped by mistake, yes I did that with the timing chain cam gear, your right its easier, thanks