Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: Car says Charging Cable plugged in when it isn't

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Burnley
    Posts
    1,383
    Quote Originally Posted by reinaldo_is_spam View Post
    Resistors don’t go short circuit .... ok maybe with a solder bridge , but still that’s pretty unlikely in a low level cool circuit like this.
    More likely is the loss of the 5v reference ... a 5v regulator failed somewhere... potentially (pardon the pun lol) a fuse somewhere too
    Incorrect. Resistors do fail low value. It depends on the type of resistor. If it has gone low value it is in the order of 7 ohms. This is certainly possible.

    It is more likely to be the supply that is missing but the circuit given is an ideal one, I am sure there will be surge protection and smoothing capacitors as well as the components shown. It would be foolish to move to the more difficult things before checking the simple stuff first.

    In this particular design it is likely that fail low resistors have been specifically chosen because of the safety implications of failing high, that is certainly what I would do and I do it for a living.
    Last edited by Mjolinor; 31-10-2017 at 11:48 PM.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    847
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    Incorrect. Resistors do fail low value. It depends on the type of resistor. If it has gone low value it is in the order of 7 ohms. This is certainly possible.

    It is more likely to be the supply that is missing but the circuit given is an ideal one, I am sure there will be surge protection and smoothing capacitors as well as the components shown. It would be foolish to move to the more difficult things before checking the simple stuff first.
    In thirty years + of working with electronics professionally in my day job this has never happened. Unless you’re talking some high energy circuit where the internal structure of the resistor has arced and left shorted matter from the remains...
    But this circuit is extreme low level energy , I’ll eat my hat (and I do have a furry one to hand) if this is your shorted resistor and not simply loss of 5v or a problem caused by liquid ingress possibly.

    The 5v reference will undoubtedly be just enough for the application ... and regulators fall over for fun .... often resulting in virtually zero output.
    Another potential reason for loss of the reference is the loss of R4 ... i.e. it’s fallen (or been knocked) off the board (no doubt being Surface mount) or poorly soldered.


    Does it actually charge ?
    Last edited by reinaldo_is_spam; 31-10-2017 at 11:57 PM.
    You're so money supermarket and you don't even know it!

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Burnley
    Posts
    1,383
    Quote Originally Posted by reinaldo_is_spam View Post
    I’ll eat my hat (and I do have a furry one to hand) if this is your shorted resistor and not simply loss of 5v or a problem caused by liquid ingress possibly.
    So will I but starting with the easy stuff is sensible. Would you ever set off to repair something that is not working without first checking the mains fuse, I think not.

    Easy stuff first then move on to the more difficult things.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    847
    Either way it’s clear smart would change the module rather than go to component level .... they wouldn’t touch it.

    You mention you can now remove the plug with the car locked? , which you can’t normally ? ..... how’s it locked in place ? Some sort of solenoid operated latch , like the central locking fuel door on normal smarts ?
    This again is a key clue ,.... perhaps this is stuck open ?.... or can’t operate due to a blown fuse ... if it can sense the latch isn’t closed (quite feasible for this sort of system) it could be causing this message .
    You're so money supermarket and you don't even know it!

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    BRISTOL
    Posts
    2,696
    would it not be best to go back to the statement of "can remove when the car is locked now" statement?

    is there a locking pin thats failed and thats what is causing the issue?

    i'd be looking at how was the charger locked in place

    JJ

    www.forfour.co.uk - forfour technical forum
    www.evilution.co.uk
    www.quidco.com << CLICK - cash back on car insurance and online purchases

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    BRISTOL
    Posts
    2,696
    Quote Originally Posted by reinaldo_is_spam View Post
    Either way it’s clear smart would change the module rather than go to component level .... they wouldn’t touch it.

    You mention you can now remove the plug with the car locked? , which you can’t normally ? ..... how’s it locked in place ? Some sort of solenoid operated latch , like the central locking fuel door on normal smarts ?
    This again is a key clue ,.... perhaps this is stuck open ?.... or can’t operate due to a blown fuse ... if it can sense the latch isn’t closed (quite feasible for this sort of system) it could be causing this message .
    snap - sorry should read pg2 before writing

    JJ

    www.forfour.co.uk - forfour technical forum
    www.evilution.co.uk
    www.quidco.com << CLICK - cash back on car insurance and online purchases

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    South Warwickshire
    Posts
    27
    Good news.

    I worked out a way of beating the diagnostic and getting into Neutral.
    Let the car go completely to sleep - the illuminated P on the gear shifter goes out. Then one hand on the gear shifter, the other on the ignition and foot over the brake pedal. Turn the ignition on and the micro-second that you see Ready on the display, stamp on the brake pedal and pull the gear lever back. You have less than a second before the diagnostic kicks in, the gear level locks and the shouty messages come up again.

    Once in Neutral I rolled it down our drive and straight onto a friend’s flatbed trailer. Quite exciting! Took it to my local smart dealer and using their smart (!) diagnostics kit they were able to narrow the problem down to the engine bay wiring harness. They had to take out the harness, strip off the outer sheathing and then they could find where the harness had been chaffing on the rear suspension mounts. The insulation was damaged on two wires. Water had got in and corroded the copper core causing an open circuit. These were wires going to the charging socket. Which neatly explains the symptoms.

    So now it is all repaired and working again. Good job smart of Oxford.

    I’m not sure if the problem was due to a design fault, insufficient support for the harness, or a manufacturing fault with the support not being fitted. Whichever, a wiring harness really should not be wearing through after only 3.5 years.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    BRISTOL
    Posts
    2,696
    warranty??

    JJ

    www.forfour.co.uk - forfour technical forum
    www.evilution.co.uk
    www.quidco.com << CLICK - cash back on car insurance and online purchases

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bury Lancs
    Posts
    144
    Glad you're sorted

    Was it very painful in the wallet?

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ecosse
    Posts
    3,604
    Quote Originally Posted by RatleyRambler View Post

    I’m not sure if the problem was due to a design fault, insufficient support for the harness, or a manufacturing fault with the support not being fitted. Whichever, a wiring harness really should not be wearing through after only 3.5 years.
    From the fortwo's inception, smart have been unable to install a reliable rear wiring harness. Pitiful.

    Interesting thread though. I guess it's a sneak preview of the future.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •