Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Engine Management Check Light EMCL

Engine Management Check Light EMCL

Hereís one to chew over.
    Needed fuel on my return home from the club I was at yesterday. Started car, no issues, hit a pothole on the drive, usually manage to miss most of them.
    After turning on to the road I noticed the EMCL was on and as I had recently serviced the car I stopped and checked all was OK so carried on gingerly and filled up with fuel.
    It wasnít until I came to lock the car after arriving home (EMCL still on) that I noticed a front indicator bulb not flashing with the others.
    So after trawling the interweb and getting nowhere I decided to leave it till this morning to sort out.
    I disconnected the battery (thought it might reset the ECU) and renewed the blown bulb, reconnected the battery and started the car, EMCL went out and all flashed bulbs working, went for a drive all still OK.
    Now I know I should have only tested one thing at a time so I am unsure what cured problem, all I can say is normal service has been resumed.
    Another puzzling thing is that normally when a flasher bulb blows the others flash faster, which didnít happen in my case. So did the failed bulb send a message to the ECU?

I think, the ''others flash faster'' belongs to a time when there was an (audible) flasher unit somewhere behind the dash. Modern practice as far as I know is to have the flash computer generated, ditto the sound. Possibly a failed flasher bulb did illuminate the EMCL. Others may know better.

Quote Originally Posted by pinger View Post
    I think, the ''others flash faster'' belongs to a time when there was an (audible) flasher unit somewhere behind the dash. Modern practice as far as I know is to have the flash computer generated, ditto the sound. Possibly a failed flasher bulb did illuminate the EMCL. Others may know better.
    Faulty or incorrectly fitted double filament stop&tail bulbs are infamous for causing odd problems with other non-related areas of the car. (It inadvertently brings the two circuits together (stop and tail) and modern cars don’t like that at all.)
    As for an indicator bulb causing similar I’d say no,.... and certainly not causing an EML to illuminate.

When you hit the pothole you may have disturbed/shaken the exhaust/Lambda wiring... which would trigger an EML if the wiring is in poor condition.
    Also another possibility is that you have some other bulb on the car needing attention (poorly fitted or droopy filaments in a stop&tail) , it may well come back and I think this was just a coincidence the flasher bulb had failed.
    You're so money supermarket and you don't even know it!

Quote Originally Posted by reinaldo_is_spam View Post
    Faulty or incorrectly fitted double filament stop&tail bulbs are infamous for causing odd problems with other non-related areas of the car. (It inadvertently brings the two circuits together (stop and tail) and modern cars don’t like that at all.).
    A blown bulb can cause this, another reason for causing this on older cars is a bad earth return connection to the chassis. You look where all the lighting earth wires are tied down to an earth boss (threaded boss) welded to the chassis, unbolt all the earths there, clean rust and/or dirt of threaded boss, this make sure you now have a good earth return, reconnect earth cables, and it usually clears the problem.

Reason this happens is when a lighting circuit cannot get an earth return it goes through the element of another circuit bulb to get to earth, and can cause weird results like half brightness and other bulbs lighting up.

What I'm going to do, when I've lost my cold, Is see if I can get it to do it again, there's a better word for this but I'm not firing on all cylinders.
    I'll let you know what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by lancepar View Post
    Hereís one to chew over.
    Needed fuel on my return home from the club I was at yesterday. Started car, no issues, hit a pothole on the drive, usually manage to miss most of them.
    After turning on to the road I noticed the EMCL was on and as I had recently serviced the car I stopped and checked all was OK so carried on gingerly and filled up with fuel.
    It wasnít until I came to lock the car after arriving home (EMCL still on) that I noticed a front indicator bulb not flashing with the others.
    So after trawling the interweb and getting nowhere I decided to leave it till this morning to sort out.
    I disconnected the battery (thought it might reset the ECU) and renewed the blown bulb, reconnected the battery and started the car, EMCL went out and all flashed bulbs working, went for a drive all still OK.
    Now I know I should have only tested one thing at a time so I am unsure what cured problem, all I can say is normal service has been resumed.
    Another puzzling thing is that normally when a flasher bulb blows the others flash faster, which didnít happen in my case. So did the failed bulb send a message to the ECU?
    Right,
    This morning I started the car and all was OK, no EMCL etc.
    Removed a front indicator bulb and holder.
    Indicated left turn, no EMCL but the flash rate was noticeably faster.
    Switch off replace holder etc, restart, all in order.

If I hadn't chucked the blown bulb I would have put that in the holder so the test would have been more exacting.
    Maybe rebooting the battery reset the EMCL.

Greetings, Me tinks you may be correct. I'll never stop saying it, in my opinion, "Smarts are just to bloody smart for their own good". Then again, these cars were designed and built (eventually) by the French and Germans - maybe, they're just getting back at those that only speak English??????? LOL. Cheers.

EMCL on again this frosty morning.
    And today discovered the ECO mode is not working, not that I use it a lot anyway, I usually switch it off after start up.
    So I'm thinking brake signal error.
    Perhaps it's time to get the brain read for logged faults.

Quote Originally Posted by lancepar View Post
    EMCL on again this frosty morning.
    And today discovered the ECO mode is not working, not that I use it a lot anyway, I usually switch it off after start up.
    So I'm thinking brake signal error.
    Perhaps it's time to get the brain read for logged faults.
    Whatís the battery condition like ?
    Have you had capacity checked/tested ?
    You're so money supermarket and you don't even know it!

Battery ought to be fine if engine starts without struggling. By the way, this is the time to acquire free batteries. Too many car owners up here change their batteries at this time in preparation for a hard winter. I have never bought a new car battery this millennium. Just start at the east end of the village visiting garages asking if they have any good pre owned battery.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG