Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Engine Management Check Light EMCL

Quote Originally Posted by lancepar View Post
    EMCL on again this frosty morning.
    And today discovered the ECO mode is not working, not that I use it a lot anyway, I usually switch it off after start up.
    So I'm thinking brake signal error.
    Perhaps it's time to get the brain read for logged faults.
    Car was covered with frost, had to scrape the screen etc, but started instantly and easily as it always does.
    I will check the battery condition thought.
    Today booked it in at friends garage for a reading, but he may not be able to interperet the results even if his reader finds any.
    Also cleaned the starternator connector and another connector on the clutch end of the cylinder head because I'm thinking the ECO mode is not getting a signal telling it the engine is warm enough to operate as, if I don't disable the ECO at start up, after starting, only the orange ECO lamp says on, the green ECO light won't come on regardless of the engine temp' (I have a aux' digital temperature gauge BTW).
    We will see what developes and while the EMCL is on the engine is working as it should, no limp mode or irregular symptoms.

Quote Originally Posted by reinaldo_is_spam View Post
    What’s the battery condition like ?
    Have you had capacity checked/tested ?
    Right, this morning air temperature was 12C and voltage 11.96V which is not good enough. Car started fine but EMCL won't go off.
    So disconnected battery and put it on charge for a couple of hours, removed charger, reconnected battery, started car, EMCL went out. Charging at 14V+ at medium tick over.
    Might be getting someware.
    Mercedes battery, if original has been on for seven years, does that sound right?
    If the problem is the battery, does it have to be MB?
    Is there a fault code for a iffy battery?
    Cheers

When my (original) battery failed it was around 8 or 9 years old. It started the car, drove for 2 miles, restarted and drove about half a mile and when asked to restart wouldn't. All dash lights were flashing like crazy while I tried. Rescue man jump started it and it drove home the 2 miles. At no point was I troubled with the EML or given any prior warning of failure.
    Replaced with same from MB on the basis that the original did well, the price was good, and they delivered it to me.

Right, this morning air temperature was 12C and voltage 11.96V which is not good enough. Car started fine but EMCL won't go off.
    So disconnected battery and put it on charge for a couple of hours, removed charger, reconnected battery, started car, EMCL went out. Charging at 14V+ at medium tick over.
    Mercedes battery, if original has been on for seven years, does that sound right?
    If the problem is the battery, does it have to be MB?
    Thought as much , battery is fatigued , don’t forget on an MHD it needs to be an AGM , will cost more than a normal battery but you need it on a stop/start car.
    There will be a date embossed into the battery somewhere... so you can confirm the age of it.

As long as it fits and it’s an AGM type you’re good to go. Just check the original in there has a vent tube or not.

As per the previous poster it’s well worth checking with smart for the genuine part price... but expect to pay £150 Ish wherever.

The EML will continue to light until reset if the fault is serious , if it was a blip (like now) it will eventually (after several start cycles) reset itself.
    Last edited by reinaldo_is_spam; 10-11-2017 at 05:44 PM.
    You're so money supermarket and you don't even know it!

Forget (or never noticed) the car in question is an MHD. Don't they also require some hook-up to STAR when a battery is replaced (to re programme the charging rate)?

Quote Originally Posted by pinger View Post
    Forget (or never noticed) the car in question is an MHD. Don't they also require some hook-up to STAR when a battery is replaced (to re programme the charging rate)?
    Not, as far as I know , unless you want to deliberately change the originally fitted/programmed battery technology, which on a 451 will be AGM as far as I’m aware.
    The new 453 uses an EFB battery instead (slightly cheaper , but not as robust long term)

Definitely stick to the same battery tech.

It was something I heard in relation to BMWs (IIRC) with stop/start that over the life of a battery the charging system adjusts itself to the ageing battery and when a new one is fitted the charging has to be re-programmed to suit the new healthier battery.
    Could be a load of tosh (though I seem to recall owners disgruntled with the additional cost) and anyway, electrics isn't my strongest suit. Might be worth asking MB though as I seem to remember tales of early failure of replacement batteries if the re-programming was skipped.

No it aint tosh..........it's Male cow excrement.

Agree AGM (120,000 starts) if constantly using the ECO mode, I dont, so an AFM/EFB (85,000 starts) will do me.

Still monitoring the situation together with drying out the interior, must have pressed the roof button on the fob again accidently (done it before in the summer)

Agree AGM (120,000 starts) if constantly using the ECO mode, I dont, so an AFM/EFB (85,000 starts) will do me
    The problem being is the charging system is set up for a particular type of battery type, it will not adapt unless told to.
    Performance and/or battery will suffer.