Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Front coil springs

Front coil springs

Just back from getting my MOT done and it has failed due to near side front spring broken. Had MOT done at Halfords and they have quoted 191 to fix. But only one side. Should both sides be done at the same time? and should I think about replacing shocks or leave till needed? Is there anything else I should look at while Im working in that area? I have found replacement springs for 19.30 each. 39 for spring compressor. pretty sure I could do both and still have change off Halfords quote. Any comments welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartbrucie View Post
    Any comments welcome.
    At least Dick Turpin wore a mask
    You're so money supermarket and you don't even know it!

If you are confident enough in yourself to do this kind of work, then do it.
    Dampers can wait....but while your there with it all in bits. The top strut nut will likely be a pain. The clamping tool gets the job done if holding provision on the strut is corroded or chewed. Or spend the money on dampers instead and just cut the nuts off with a grinder if they are awkward.

Break loose top nut with an impact gun. No need to replace both springs provided you replace like with like. Open out, clean and grease top bearing.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen View Post
    Break loose top nut with an impact gun. No need to replace both springs provided you replace like with like. Open out, clean and grease top bearing.
    It's always good practice to replace suspension parts in pairs

Quote Originally Posted by EmilysDad View Post
    It's always good practice to replace suspension parts in pairs
    A misconception by fools.

If it were that critica, you would need to carry ballast to equalise load each side of your Smart.

Never use hook type spring compressors. You can build your own spring compressor in about 30 minutes from plywood, M10 threaded bar, washers and nuts for minimal material cost.
    Never fit KYB springs as they have particularly bad powder coating. Same applies to Eurocarpart and Carparts4less own brand.
    Note there are two different lengths of front springs. The longer spring is for 450 models made from Jan 03.
    I recommend original Smart or Duplex springs.
    Check condition of dust bellows and renew if required. About 5 from Smart.
    Reuse top assembly but clean and grease support bearing which comes apart with ease.

DIY spring compressor:

Purpose of the short pieces of yellow Lidl garden hose is to avoid damage to spring powder coating.

There is no need for spring compressor if fitting the short springs.

Hi Guys thanks for all the comments. Lots of good info and tips in there. I have decided to order 2 springs from Smart-stuff.parts. I will remove the old first and check what other parts need replacing before ordering. I was going to order full fitting kit but at 55 per side i see what is needed first as may not need all the parts. I'll let you know how I get on. Cheers