Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Front coil springs

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen View Post
    A misconception by fools.
    Is it? There are loads of foolish garages then. You could also say that if one spring was ready to break due to age, then the other side wont be far behind.

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen View Post
    Never use hook type spring compressors .....
    Never had a problem with my Teng hook type compressors when I replaced both Roadster from springs .... They're not exactly big springs.

How foolish are "foolish garages" when they can charge twice as much?

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    How foolish are "foolish garages" when they can charge twice as much?
    I disagree. Suspension parts & brakes are always best replaced in pairs. I replaced just one air spring on my other car earlier this year ..... Sunday morning the other side had dropped to the floor nearly. Just guessing, but I'd bet I have an air leak on it.
    Just one of many Interweb sites ..... http://www.thepartsalliance.com/alwa...in-axle-pairs/

Ideally you should take it off and compare the length to a new one but who bothers. On something like a Smart car it really is not necessary. That is not to say it is not necessary on all cars under all circumstances, it depends what you are doing with the vehicle and what vehicle it is.

I for one do not believe it to be necessary based on experience but I do not have any problem at all with anyone that believes it to be necessary, personal choice and thankfully we are not all clones.

Ideally you should take it off and compare the length to a new one but who bothers. On something like a Smart car it really is not necessary. That is not to say it is not necessary on all cars under all circumstances, it depends what you are doing with the vehicle and what vehicle it is.

I for one do not believe it to be necessary based on experience but I do not have any problem at all with anyone that believes it to be necessary, personal choice and thankfully we are not all clones.
    Hence my original reply .... best practice & not you must

Quote Originally Posted by EmilysDad View Post
    Hence my original reply .... best practice & not you must
    Not "best practise", personal choice.

Not "best practise", personal choice.
    No ..... best practice .... springs wear out.

Quote Originally Posted by EmilysDad View Post
    No ..... best practice .... springs wear out.
    Best practise is to buy boxes of new springs. Test those springs individually for compression under load and draw graphs of the resulting data. Pick any pair of springs that have identical graphs and compression V load is within your desired parameters and fit those springs that you deem suitable. Once you have done that you should ideally (best practise) remove the other pair of springs and do the same but this time you have to account for front back balance and pick the pair that go best with your already chosen springs on the other axle.

Anything other than that is personal choice. The amount of compromise you are prepared to take is up to you.

Shocks I will replace in pairs but not springs.
    Springs break for all sorts of reasons and often for no reason whatsoever. Mine has gone through uncountable number of springs possibly more than 17 now.
    I only renew the broken spring. Spring on opposite side can last years so no point changing.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG