Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Front coil springs

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen View Post
    ...... Mine has gone through uncountable number of springs possibly more than 17 now..
    How many? Where are you driving? In 30odd years of driving I've replace a pair at the front of my Roadster (despite it only being 1 that broke) a pair at the back of a previous Astra because both had broken and about to replace the second air spring/bag at the back of my other car.

Quote Originally Posted by EmilysDad View Post
    How many? Where are you driving? In 30odd years of driving I've replace a pair at the front of my Roadster (despite it only being 1 that broke) a pair at the back of a previous Astra because both had broken and about to replace the second air spring/bag at the back of my other car.

Where is he driving?

Seems to me that he drives it just about anywhere, he only got a boat because he couldn't make his Smart float level.

I have no difficulty imagining him living in Alaska with his back wheel jacked up powering his circular saw with a big leather belt.

The only thing I find difficult is existing without a Lidl in spitting range.

Potholes, generally rough road surface, cold miserable weather and salty slush are no good for my poor springs.
    Fitting standard Roadster springs on rear and cheap China springs costing about £8 each on the front seem to have cured my spring break problem for a wee while at least since I have suffered no broken springs after and they were fitted more than two years ago.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

More springs:

Only one spring was replaced but I removed both struts to replace dust bellows and apply protective paint. Think these would look fantastic in the dark if outfitted with LED lights inside the bellows.

Fitted two new Anschler springs about two years ago. These are the cheap China springs bought for £8 each inclusive of postage from Carparts4less.

My Anschler springs looked rather miserable after having suffered only one Scottish winter:

Top strut bearings will last a life time provided they are periodically cleaned and greased. This is how they look like when opened out:

I use marine prop shaft grease but CV joint grease is good enough just does not have as good anti rust properties.
    Last edited by tolsen; 08-11-2017 at 09:00 AM.

More photos of my DIY Smart spring compressor:

Discs are made from 25 mm thick MDF work top. Two 12 mm sheet of plywood glued together will be stronger. Threaded bars are M10 carbon steel from Toolstation.

PS. Bought the outboard from a widow for £30 when it was only two years old. 9hp Mercury 2 stroke.
    Last edited by tolsen; 08-11-2017 at 12:16 AM.

I replaced the bump stops as well as the springs on the front, yes both of them. Early 451ís had problems in cold weather with the bump stops being too hard so it felt like the front suspension bottomed out over speed bumps etc. I replaced mine when the springs where done and itís like a different car. They arenít expensive from smart so itís worth it whilst itís in bits.

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen View Post
    Bought the outboard from a widow for £30 when it was only two years old. 9hp Mercury 2 stroke.
    Sounds like grave robbing to me
    You're so money supermarket and you don't even know it!

Quote Originally Posted by reinaldo_is_spam View Post
    Sounds like grave robbing to me
    The woman was very happy I would look well after her late husband’s treasured possession.