Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Engine Management light on ( P0299 )

Hi guys, decided to fit the new air filter, so will have to wait to see if this is the answer to my P0299 problem, ie, the new filter will let more air in.

As you can see from the photo, it was the orignal air filter (seven years old).

The job of getting the new filter in there was hellish, and reminds me not to buy another Cdi

I unscrewed two large screws as shown in pictures, and pulled back the air pipe to get the air filter cover out
    (note that there is an electrical sensor/electrical wires on the air pipe into the air filter but, does not need to be pulled out, just watch it as you pull the air filter cover out, and move it to the side, out the way.

The other rubber pipe is the small length of curved rubber pipe into the engine that was getting in the way for air filter cover removal, so unscrewed and pulled back as picture, to give some room for removal.

You undo the three clips on the air filter cover and slide the cover out like a monkey puzzle.
    Replace with new filter, then slide the cover back in, reclip the three clips (the middle one is hard to get to) and reasembe the piping. One hell of a job!
    Last edited by colin2x2; 05-12-2017 at 04:27 PM.

Is that a job that would be made easier by dropping the subframe (relatively easy for a dealer with ramps, etc) or will the turbo always be in the way?

I see on Evilution that the official unSmart way is to jack up rear end, remove left rear wheel and left rear wheel arch lining to provide access to air filter.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

It isn't necessary to remove anything but the air pipe connected to the lid of the air filter box. I have done mine several times (with DPF) and the early 2009 (without DPF), both the same way unfastening the same things.

I fouind the above method I used, the best (thanks to Mjolinor's advice in previous comments), but I still needed to move that air pipe to the engine out the way, to wangle the cover out, without damaging anything.

Likey Mjolinor is used to such car mechanics, but I am a bit on the rusty side, so I needed to move that pipe to get enough clearance to get the air filter cover out.

Been driving two days now with the new air filter, too early to tell if the P0299 fault is sorted, but I can tell you there will be a far better air flow now with that new air filter, as the original was totally manky. I will report back at end of month.

As a matter of interest, what is that electrical sensor on the air filter pipe?
    Last edited by colin2x2; 05-12-2017 at 05:31 PM.

Mass air flow sensor. It gives a voltage output reading that is inversely (probably) proportional to the volume of air flowing through the pipe.