Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No Boost

No Boost

Today my Smart (1999 450) city + Passion decided to lose boost. Engine will rev if you ask it to, but you have to drop gears to get revs. Car just has no power.

Checked the E-clip still there.
    Checked wastegate movement, moves OK.
    Used MB Star - No faults listed.
    Disconnected the battery - no change.
    What else can be wrong?

Anything easy to check without having to buy replacement parts just to swap out to see if they were the problem?

John

MB star will give you real time data for boost. Did you look to see if it has lost boost?

The usual problem with lost or corroded E clip on waste gate arm perhaps?
    http://smartmods.co.uk/index.php?page=details&id=130
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen View Post
    The usual problem with lost or corroded E clip on waste gate arm perhaps
    More like the usual problem of you not reading the basics of the original post ???

He’s already said quite specifically:

Quote Originally Posted by Heinkel
    Checked the E-clip still there.

To the original poster: have you tried the cycle valve ?
    You're so money supermarket and you don't even know it!

Quote Originally Posted by reinaldo_is_spam View Post
    More like the usual problem of you not reading the basics of the original post ???

Hes already said quite specifically:

To the original poster: have you tried the cycle valve ?
    He is getting old and may benefit from good Lidl glasses.

It is a power loss plague only affecting Smart 450 petrol cars. Lucky for me the Cdi is immune.

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen View Post
    It is a power loss plague only affecting Smart 450 petrol cars. Lucky for me the Cdi is immune.
    Nope, that is certainly incorrect. Power loss on a diesel is a whole different ball game and can be a lot lot more expensive.

Luckily yours is maintained so is unlikely to suffer from any of the normal reasons for power loss in a diesel.

Other than replacing the cycle valve with a new one, are there any tests I can run to prove it is the culprit?

Yes, I am getting older, but I can still tell if the E-clip is there or not even without glasses.

Idles fine.
    Will change up the first few gears in Auto quite happily, but boost pressure will not go positive.
    Hose appear to be still connected correctly, certainly none have fallen off or disconnected at one end.

Didn't hear or feel anything odd whilst driving other than it suddenly had no boost coming away from a round-a-bout.

This evening I will have a look at the rear reluctor rings, but shouldn't there be a fault showing in STAR if one of those is faulty?

Will see what live data I can get today.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Heinkeljb View Post
    Today my Smart (1999 450) city + Passion decided to lose boost. Engine will rev if you ask it to, but you have to drop gears to get revs. Car just has no power.
    I've had this a couple of times and the last time when I checked the E-clip it was there but the actuating rod it held was corroded through, broken and detached. Not before elongating and failing to operate the wastegate did it finally detach though.

Previously the wastegate was sticky in operation. Not seized but sticky at its extremes of travel. Applying a suitable lubricant cured it.

Not sure how similar a 1999 model is to later ones, but if yours has the myriad small diameter signal hoses, then possibly one is split where the split can't as yet be seen. If you are going to disturb these hoses (or remove the actuator) I recommend you buy some hose intended as diesel spill-off hose. Not only will it enable replacement of any damaged hose you can replace all the hoses with longer lengths enabling reconnection of all hoses before reinstalling the actuator. Standard length hoses require reconnection after actuator installation - awkward as hell.

Power loss due to ABS/traction control cuts power completely - not just boost. Faults here tend to make them self known during braking and cornering. I'd focus on the engine end of things.

Cycle valve failure from memory puts it into limp mode (EML on and reset via battery disconnect) but not before a bout of overboost. Not your problem I suspect.

Very unusual problem you got here. Boost loss just like that? Something must have come off or failed. Did you check that all little rubber houses are connected to the actuator and one to turbo? Favorite e clip is there thanks god. when car is off try to see if the actuator is actually free moving. It should feel like its spring loaded. What else... Cycle valve could be another issues but you should at least have some boost.

Where are you based?
    They say that Big car = Small penis.
    Well I've got a Smart car....