Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: No Boost

Quote Originally Posted by 137699 View Post
    I doubt it is cycle valve related as if it was, disconnecting & reconnecting the battery would have seen your boost return, even if only briefly.
    Overboost followed by limp mode and EML - not easily missed!

I use this:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Graphite-...UAAOSwTm9aGul0

For the car wastegate I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen View Post
    Waste gate actuator on a front engine car is much better protected from the elements. UnSmart of Smart to fit such a poorly corrosion protected beast at the rear of the 450.
    Lucky for me they used stainless steel when making waste gate mechanism for the diesel 450:

Actuator rod, nuts and arm are all stainless steel. Only once about 15 years ago did I as a precaution apply some lubricunt where rod enters actuator pot.
    TK, is the turbine housing integral to the exhaust manifold on the CDI as it is with the petrol models?

Beginning to wonder if it isn't the filth on the roads being sucked into the pivot as you allude. I once had the (external) gear shift mechanism on a Mercedes pick-up get very very stiff after a prolonged bout of driving through heavy slush. Away from the slush, normal service resumed after a few hours. H will know better what the road conditions were when he lost boost.

It always seemed to me to be a really stupid way to control the pressure in the inlet manifold.

What's wrong with just using the wastegate solenoid to let pressure out of the inlet manifold directly. That way the turbo does not need to slow down to regulate boost. You would need to stop the turbo over revving but that could be designed into the turbo easily enough without any moving parts.

Quote Originally Posted by pinger View Post
    TK, is the turbine housing integral to the exhaust manifold on the CDI as it is with the petrol models?
    Yes, turbine housing on the Cdi is integral to exhaust manifold.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    What's wrong with just using the wastegate solenoid to let pressure out of the inlet manifold directly. .
    Noise and oil carry-over, and overspeed control would still be required - which I'm not immediately seeing how that can be achieved without additional moving parts eg, wastegate.

edit PS.
    Additionally, opening the wastegate on start up permits faster heating of the cat (SI engines, though presumably DPFs appreciate the same on CI engines) and avoids spooling up the turbo before it has adequate oil supply.
    Last edited by pinger; 28-11-2017 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen View Post
    Yes, turbine housing on the Cdi is integral to exhaust manifold.
    Cheers TK.

What is the smallest turbo you know of that detaches from its manifold?

Quote Originally Posted by pinger View Post
    Cheers TK.

What is the smallest turbo you know of that detaches from its manifold?
    Much smaller than a Smart turbo.

If you are thinking about making one for a Smart that is not integral then look at the motor bike turbos that are available. I seem to remember that the Garrett GT12 is available as a stand alone for some applications.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/turbo-bike

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    Much smaller than a Smart turbo.

If you are thinking about making one for a Smart that is not integral then look at the motor bike turbos that are available. I seem to remember that the Garrett GT12 is available as a stand alone for some applications.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/turbo-bike
    Cheers M.
    What I'm looking for is one that flows around the same air quantity as fortwo turbos - circa 45-75hp - but for a non-smart application.
    Good call on the small Garrets. I'll research which cars they were fitted to in the hope of sourcing one from a breaker. It won't have to last forever, just long enough to prove a concept. Failing that, a new one as per the linked page.