Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: anyone tell me ? pls

anyone tell me ? pls

2009 cdi ,
    Hi I have a vacuum pipe hanging off. Here's a pic can't find where is goes..
    Its the one clipped to the large coolant pipe then comes up into a y piece.

thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by martininkent; 30-11-2017 at 04:22 PM.

what no one, ok

If I could I would. But I know SFA about 451s. Someone will though. Patience is all.....

Post some better pictures and I will tell you.

i cant really as the other end of the pipe coming off the Y piece follows the coolant pipe , down to nothing against the fire wall,,, there is only one pipe following the coolant pipe down towards the floor,

its the pipe held in place by the larger pipe clip, theres only one that runs up the coolant pipe to the y piece , thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by martininkent; 01-12-2017 at 12:13 AM.

I still can't see it too well at all.

I will assume that the left of the Y piece feed two solenoids, one bolted to the side of the air filter and one close to the intercooler. If that is the case then the third connects to the pipe from the vac pump at the top right of the engine. It connects just before the one way valve where the pipe disappears underneath in the middle to the brake servo.

If the Y piece only connects to the EGR solenoid on the side of the air filter with the other left Y tube connecting to the vac pump then the tail of the Y connects to the wastegate solenoid on the top (front) left of the engine.

hi can you draw that ,
    its the one coming up the coolant hose to the y piece, where does it come up from ? as the end is just swinging around pointing to the floor
    the other 2 pipes on the y piece go to the solenoid, and the one way brake vacuum valve,
    by the way this is the first generation of the cdi diesel, 0.8 cc with the 700cc block and bottom end, also used the same steel sump,
    Last edited by martininkent; 01-12-2017 at 03:25 PM.

It isn't a first gen diesel. It is an early 2009, non DPF Euro 4 diesel. There are only two solenoids to drive from the vacuum pipe (3 on the Euro 5, late 2009 on) One is the EGR solenoid on the side of the air box, the other is the wastegate solenoid and that is in a stupid position basically behind the air box but to the right of it. Almost inline with the gearbox / engine mating faces, very close to the starter motor, about where your red circle is but down down down. You will need a light to see it at all and getting your hand in there is OK if you are under 5 years old. It is a pig to get at and a pig to see.

There is a pipe from that solenoid over the top of the gearbox to the rear of the car connected to the turbo wastegate. The EGR is to the bottom left of your red circle, there is a pipe from that to the solenoid on the side of the air box.

This info is based on one I pulled to bits but no guarantee that Mr Mechanic Monkey had not been at it before I got it.

I already drew it in another post somewhere on the forum but that one is for a Euro5 though the only difference that I know is that there is a third solenoid fitted on the euro5.
    Last edited by Mjolinor; 01-12-2017 at 03:38 PM.

sorry to disagree, but this has a self controlling turbo waste and boost, , ie the turbo controls its own waste gate, ( engine off the turbo waste gate is normally shut by a internal spring), turbo spools up and boosts into the diaphragm of the control rod chamber, via a small link hose,it then opens waste gate, and the the process starts over again, I have come across and bought many of the cdi where some mechanics tech etc not realizing how this turbo version waste gate works different from other smarts, and adjust the waste gate rod nuts the wrong way, result,, sorry sir I think the turbo has gone!, theres no solenoid for the waste gate, like I said early generation diesel engine, only one solenoid on the engine and that's bolted to the air box and its for the erg valve internal actuator rod , the dual solenoid version came about 4 months later after launch, more development of this engine after aprox 4000 cdi sales of this model,, yes I know you did a drawing but its gone from the thread,, thank for your reply
    Last edited by martininkent; 02-12-2017 at 12:51 AM.

OK.

I have no idea what that pipe does sorry. I have never seen a Smart CDI like the one you are describing, sorry.

Tolsen has a version 1 of the CDI, he should know unless his is different too.