Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which One Should I buy

Which One Should I buy

Hi All,
    It"s quite a while now since I sold my Smart but the time is approaching when I need to get another one.
    I"ve asked this question before but maybe there"s now some different opinions on which is the Best, most sensible Smart for me to buy.
    We are two older people(OAPs) but I don"t amble around when driving, I like to put my foor down and keep up with other traffic either on ordinary roads or Motorways. So we want a Car capable of keeping up at least 70+mph on Motorways. It has to be in the Low or lowest Road Tax Band. It definitely has to be in the higher end MPG Band. It has to be a Fortwo and can be either Coupe or Convertible and It has to be in the 2500 to 3000 Price Bracket. So basically I want a Cheap to Buy, Cheap to Run Motor car which will seat two or more people.
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by mudinuri007 View Post
    It has to be a Fortwo and can be either Coupe or Convertible

So basically I want a Cheap to Buy, Cheap to Run Motor car which will seat two or more people.
    You're so money supermarket and you don't even know it!

Quote Originally Posted by mudinuri007 View Post
    Hi All,

... but I don"t amble around when driving, I like to put my foor down and keep up with other traffic ....
    ... It has to be in the Low or lowest Road Tax Band. It definitely has to be in the higher end MPG Band ....
    ... It has to be a Fortwo ... which will seat two or more people ...
    All of these statements oppose each other.
    Do you want one which is in the lowest tax band / higher MPG, OR, do you want one that will go fast?
    Do you want a fortwo which will only seat two OR do you want a forfour, which will seat 4/5?

You can't have your cake AND eat it. It has to be one or the other.
    ==============================
    2004 Roadster-Coupe SB2 Brabus
    2005 ForTwo Brabus Numeric
    2014 Skoda Yeti 4x4 DSG
    ex 2002 City Coupe 600cc Pulse
    ex 2003 City Coupe 700cc Passion
    ==============================

Why do you seem to think the requirements oppose each other. To me it"s a simple matter of choosing the right car for us.
    1) We would prefer a Fortwo
    2) It has to be in the Cheap Tax bracket
    3) It has to give high MPG
    4) It has to be reasonably quick (70 mph)
    I don"t see where the problem is. What I would like to know which would be best for us. The 700cc or newer 1000cc or the Diesel
    because I would have thought they all fall into the above spec in one degree or another. I just want to know from the Owners and Drivers of Smart Cars which is the best to own and which model complies with the spec I would PREFER. Maybe there might be a slight difference in Tax Band (I can handle that) there might be a slight difference in overall MPG ( and I could handle that). It"s not rocket science, I just want reasoned advice. I drive a 2010 Freelander TD4 and when I was thinking of buying the Freelander I went onto the Landyzone site and asked the same sort of question and was given reasoned advice as to which model would suit my circumstances and that"s all I am asking for now.
    I just don"t get what having one"s cake and eating it has anything to do with my question?

OK, a Fortwo is a two seater, so thats the max people you will get in it, and maybe a dog in the boot

For your money you will get any 450 model (2007 and under) or 451, (2007 or over). Likely up to a 2012 for that money.
    I have owned both and the 541 is roomier in cabin and boot, and far more stable on the road.
    Would recommend the 451.

Petrol models will give you around 45 MPG and tax brakets is 20 to 30 a year (excluding the Barbus model, which is a lot higher due to its perfomance engine) On the 451 petrol model best to go for the petrol turbo, and avoid at all costs a model with the label MHD (micro hybrid drive with start stop technology), as it has an inherant fault with the alignment of the belt and can snap, and overheat and destroy the engine.

If you want a diesel Cdi model, you will get between 60 to 80 MPG, and if you want to avoid DPF filter with burn cycle models, you need to buy before late 2009 and under. After that like my Cdi which is 2010 it has a PDF and requires far more longer drivers and faster to get the burn cycle to remove the soot. If you drive it just as a city car it would bung up, and costly to fix.

As for model trim, avoid a basic Pure with steel wheels, the Prime is more spory with steering wheel paddle control, bigger alloy wheels, and mine which is a Passion gives you better trim spec, like a panoramic clear roof, alloys, nicer seats, etc.
    Only around 5% of all 451's came with power steering as a cost extra, very hard to find them out there, but not really necessary as the car is easy to drive without power steering, except a ten point turn, he he.

Each model secondhand may come with more cost extras than others, like heated seats, steering wheel paddles, ect, so just check what you get.
    Last edited by colin2x2; 02-12-2017 at 02:45 PM.

Go for a 450 diesel if you want a reliable and quiet Smart car with zero road tax. The petrol 450s are noisy and troublesome so avoid.

Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

450 diesel acceleration from standstill to 60 mph:

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen View Post
    450 diesel acceleration from standstill to 60 mph:

:
    You're so money supermarket and you don't even know it!

My 05 model Pure petrol seats two, is well enough equipped (and without kit that requires constant maintenance and encroaches on engine access - eg, AC), will sit at 80mph comfortably and never holds anyone up on tighter roads, returns 50mpg despite being driven as described and costs 30pa to tax. A change of tyre sizes improved stability to more than acceptable levels. Unlike the diesel it doesn't kick up a racket akin to a cement mixer being cleaned at the end of use and has 30% more hp. It is also RHD.

The frailty of its engine cannot be easily overlooked though. Buying one without an engine rebuild is a ticking time bomb, buying one that has had a rebuild is no guarantee of troublefree motoring either unless the competency of the rebuild can be assured - very difficult.

The above paragraph is the only reason I would ask you to consider a 451 (I wont be shifting to one from my 450 with newly rebuilt engine) and I doubt that I can consider anything other than the 84hp turbo version on the basis that they appear to be the least troublesome with the possible exception of the early (surely hard to locate) CDI.
    Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by reinaldo_is_spam View Post

:
    There is no cheating. It is diesel power and freewheeling pulley for faster acceleration.