Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Not selecting - Auto or Reverse. PLEASE HELP

Remove passenger seat.
    Lift carpet.
    Unplug the loom from the gearbox ECU that goes out though the hole towards the back/underneath.
    From underneath unplug speed sensor, clutch actuator and two plugs on the gear change motor unit.
    Check that every wire has continuity form the ECU to the connector on the gearbox.

You need two people if you are not going to completely remove the loom from the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    Remove passenger seat.
    Lift carpet.
    Unplug the loom from the gearbox ECU that goes out though the hole towards the back/underneath.

Check that every wire has continuity form the ECU to the connector on the gearbox.
    Just to confirm the gearbox ECU is under the carpet toward the back?

When you say the connector on the gearbox, do you mean the connectors you mentioned (speed sensor, clutch actuator, and the two plugs on the gear change motor?

Yes, every wire in the main ECU plug goes to one of the wires in the gearbox end of the loom. There are no wires between plugs at hte gearbox end, it is all ECU to gearbox.

While you are at it, one assumes you have already disconnected the battery before you start and it makes sense to buzz out from the ECU loom going the other way to the OBD plug the CAN + - wires just in case you have a CAN bus problem. They are green..

While you are at it, one assumes you have already disconnected the battery before you start and it makes sense to buzz out from the ECU loom going the other way to the OBD plug the CAN + - wires just in case you have a CAN bus problem. They are green..

Thanks, I’ll try the continuity test shortly. I hope i find that to be the problem. Because it should be simple to repair.

But, I didn’t quite understand the CAN+ - part?

The data between car components is transmitted via two wires called the CAN BUS. They often break or otherwise fail and lead to errors that can be obscure and hard to find. The CAN BUS wires from the gearbox ECU are available on the OBD socket so as the seat is out at the moment just make sure that the CAN BUS between the OBD and the gearbox ECU are OK.

Here are some wiring diagrams:
    http://rollingpast.com/john/wiring.zip

This will be deleted in a day or two.

You could try forcing a gearbox reteach.

Foot on footbrake and hold it there, turn the ignition on. After 30 seconds or so you shoudl hear the gearbox clunking and whirring along with three horizontal lines on the dash. It will not fix the need for a gearbox firmware update but it is possible it just forgot where it was.
    Just tried this, but it didn't do anything. Is there another way to do the gearbox reteach?

The data between car components is transmitted via two wires called the CAN BUS. They often break or otherwise fail and lead to errors that can be obscure and hard to find. The CAN BUS wires from the gearbox ECU are available on the OBD socket so as the seat is out at the moment just make sure that the CAN BUS between the OBD and the gearbox ECU are OK.

Here are some wiring diagrams:
    http://rollingpast.com/john/wiring.zip

This will be deleted in a day or two.
    Thanks,

I will perform these tests as soon as possible. I've downloaded the diagrams so feel free to delete whenever you want.

The diagrams did make me wonder, if perhaps I could have something as simple as a blown fuse which is why I have the circuit issue? If so, any suggestions which fuses to check?

Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Neo_the_One View Post
    The diagrams did make me wonder, if perhaps I could have something as simple as a blown fuse which is why I have the circuit issue? If so, any suggestions which fuses to check?

Thanks for your help.
    A decent light and you will be able to visually check all fuses for integrity in less time it takes to ask about them

You're so money supermarket and you don't even know it!

clutch pressure plate spring broken
    I bet , gearbox out , not a hard job ,, good luck
    Last edited by martininkent; 31-12-2017 at 05:22 PM.