Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which fuel filler cap is which?

Which fuel filler cap is which?

What other detachable cap that looks like a petrol cap?

Maybe it was a 450 and she tried to fill the round air inlet

Quote Originally Posted by colin2x2 View Post
    What other detachable cap that looks like a petrol cap?

Maybe it was a 450 and she tried to fill the round air inlet
    It was a 450 (2005) and she ripped the air inlet cover off in order to do it.

She isn't the first and I doubt she will be the last.

The woman cannot read. Later 450 models have NO FUEL written in large capital letters on the air inlet. Only visible once outer disc has been removed.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen View Post
    The woman cannot read.
    This does not surprise me, she probably can't dress herself in the morning either.

So she finally gets the cover off (no doubt cursing its stubborness) and is then presented with an orifice that will as near as dammit accept the fuel nozzle. You'd guess this was her first time filling it with fuel (or else she'd have known she was at the wrong side) and she missed the black on black NO FUEL text on a dark winter's day.

The real idiots were on this forum several years ago advising (when the same had occurred) to 'just start the engine, it'll dry out'. Well she did - the result is obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by pinger View Post
    So she finally gets the cover off (no doubt cursing its stubborness) and is then presented with an orifice that will as near as dammit accept the fuel nozzle. You'd guess this was her first time filling it with fuel (or else she'd have known she was at the wrong side) and she missed the black on black NO FUEL text on a dark winter's day.

The real idiots were on this forum several years ago advising (when the same had occurred) to 'just start the engine, it'll dry out'. Well she did - the result is obvious.
    It doesn't really make sense that it did that. She must have put a huge amount in. I would have thought that a normal amount (what's a normal amount ? ) say half the air filter box full before it started giving you soggy shoes would not cause it to set on fire really or you were very unlucky if it did.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    It doesn't really make sense that it did that. She must have put a huge amount in. I would have thought that a normal amount (what's a normal amount ? ) say half the air filter box full before it started giving you soggy shoes would not cause it to set on fire really or you were very unlucky if it did.
    The air box has drain holes and even if they were clear there's no predicting where the fuel would go - into the undertray? Then there's the TIK pipe and how much further past the turbo it may have travelled. A full TIK would be a reasonably amount of fuel to spill onto an established fire.
    I'd lay money on fuel having leaked from the airbox and vapourised on the hot engine/gearbox/intercooler was then set off with a spark from the starter motor or alternator when she attempted to start the engine.
    We will never know if the cover she removed took a force which she should have doubted (though stiff operation on a 12 year old car is hardly novel) or whether it had been previously removed or was damaged and offered no real resistance. A stupid mistake for sure but no more than that. She is lucky to have the quick thinking of the guy who saved her present or the outcome could have been considerably graver.

On the plus side, one less 450 - bumps up the value of the survivors (when they become collectable!)

This:

''If Smart design an air filter to match the fuel filler on the other side I don't think you'd necessarily need to be stupid to make the mistake, only inexperienced or unfamiliar with the car or with cars in general. Considering the market the Smart is aimed at, it is a significant design fault and I would imagine there is a lot of serious discussion going on Daimler AG right now.''

from another forum on the topic. While I can agree on the first part, the idea that Daimler AG give a toss has me pissing myself (laughing) like an airbox filled with fuel.

I just checked my handbook and found no info as to what side of car filler cap is located.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG